Air Fryer Frozen Whole Chicken. Let a chefTeach you how to cook a frozen whole chicken in the air fryer. Easy to follow air fryer cooking time, cooking temperature along with the most popular air fryer whole chicken recipes.
Air Fryer Frozen Whole Chicken
Today on Recipe This, is all about cooking a frozen whole chicken in an air fryer. Perfect for those times when you have not thawed your chicken in time for dinner or would prefer to cook your chicken from frozen.
Our routine in the Milners household is to get the frozen chicken out of our chest freezer the night before we plan to cook it. Then it will be almost thawed when we cook it and won’t need much extra cooking.
But what if you are cooking a completely frozen whole chicken in the air fryer? One that you have grabbed from the freezer, placed straight in the air fryer and then cooked there and then?
- Is it possible to cook a frozen whole chicken in the air fryer?
- How long will it take to cook a frozen chicken in the air fryer?
- Will an air fryer frozen whole chicken be dry?
I decided to give the job to Dominic, after all as a chef he knows all about chicken safety and will do the best job.
Can You Cook Frozen Whole Chicken In Air Fryer?
YES you can! But do note that you treat cooking a frozen whole chicken in an air fryer different to a thawed fresh whole chicken.
For example, you need to kickstart the cooking process of your frozen whole chicken at a very low temperature.
This will allow it to defrost slightly and means that your chicken will not cook too quickly. After all you don’t want chicken cooked on the outside and not in the inside, or your chicken being too dry.
Another important note is giblets. If you are cooking your whole chicken from frozen the likelihood is that it will have giblets inside.
If it is totally frozen, you won’t be able to get the giblets out and you are forced to cook your whole chicken until it is thawed enough to remove the giblets.
But don’t worry or be nervous these are all important points we will be covering below in our air fryer frozen whole chicken recipe.
Where To Source The Best Whole Chicken For The Air Fryer?
My favourite place for whole chickens to cook in the air fryer is Butcher Box. When you sign up for Butcher Box it is a monthly subscription service for meat delivery, and you can choose whole chickens as part of your delivery service.
I love the choice of meat that Butcher Box offer, especially the choice when it comes to frozen chicken.
The chicken from Butcher Box arrives frozen so that you can place it straight into your freezer and you can use our advice here in our air fryer frozen whole chickens for using your Butcher Box chickens.
Here is some further reading:
What Ingredients & Gadgets Go Into Air Fryer Frozen Whole Chicken?
There is not much to cooking air fryer frozen whole chicken. Its one of those easy air fryer recipes that will make you feel grateful that you got an air fryer.
The only ingredients that you need, well beyond your amazing frozen whole chicken, is some extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper for the skin.
Of course, you can add to this if you want flavoured chicken such as a lemon pepper chicken. But its all about personal preference.
As well as your frozen chicken you need a good air fryer. We have the Philips Air Fryer XL, Philips Air Fryer XXL and the Power Air Fryer Oven in our house. But any good air fryer that has a decent basket size or rotisserie option.
Though, another thought is to consider the size of the whole chicken to the size of your air fryer. Many air fryers are not big enough for a big chicken and instead you need a smaller chicken.
Frozen Whole Chicken In Air Fryer Recipe Suggestions
I eat a lot of whole chicken in the air fryer and its our favourite quick dinner during the week. We tend to have our air fryer whole chicken with some instant pot frozen vegetables, plus a few slices of avocado or a salad.
Here are a few ways that you can season and cook your air fryer whole chicken to give you some ideas of how you want your chicken to turn out:
- Air Fryer Rotisserie Chicken – A great marinade if you want your whole chicken to taste like the supermarket rotisseries. Great recipe and a favourite of ours. You can also mix and match flavours for your favourite type of rotisserie chicken.
- Air Fryer Whole Chicken – Originally cooked during a round of the Whole30, we love this for a quick rub of seasonings and cooking in the air fryer. The same way we are having our whole chicken for dinner tonight.
- Air Fryer Roast Chicken Dinner – Perfect for if you want stuffing and roast potatoes and vegetables to go with your roast chicken. All can be cooked together in the air fryer.
- Air Fryer Lemon Chicken – Perfect for if you love lemon chicken and want a flavoured chicken rather than plain. In this recipe it shows you how to cook it with roast potatoes at the same time too.
- Air Fryer Spatchcock Chicken – Much quicker to cook from frozen and takes up less room in the air fryer.
How To Cook Frozen Whole Chicken In Air Fryer?
Cooking frozen whole chicken in the air fryer is so simple:
- Remove the packaging from the frozen chicken and place it in the air fryer basket.
- Kick start its cooking by defrosting it enough to remove the giblets.
- Remove the giblets, smoother the skin with extra virgin olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook on a medium temperature until fully cooked.
Frozen Whole Chicken In Air Fryer Recipe Tips
Here are a few quick tips to consider when cooking frozen whole chicken in an air fryer:
- Spatchcock your chicken it will cook much faster.
- If you plan to cook frozen whole chickens regularly, then remove giblets before freezing.
- Always check if the chicken is cooked by cutting into the thickest part and making sure it is no longer pink and piping hot.
- Make sure you don’t cook the chicken at a high temperature. The chicken will be dry, and it will end up cooked on the outside and not in the middle.
- Cook for an equal time on each side. Its recommended that you start with breast side down first.
More Air Fryer Frozen Food
Here at Recipe This we love sharing with our readers lots of frozen food that they can cook from frozen in their air fryer. The possibilities are endless and often frozen food tastes better in an air fryer, then in the oven or in the deep fat fryer.
Here are a few of our other air fryer frozen Chicken favourites for you to try next:
- Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Bites
- Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Kiev
- Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Pot Pie
- Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Fingers
- Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Strips
- Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Nuggets
- Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Wings
We also have a lot more air fryer recipes for you to check out and find some new ideas for planning your meals.
As well as this we have our air fryer frozen food ecookbook, which is full to bursting with all our air fryer frozen recipes in one big PDF ebook. You can order it on this link or click on the banner below.
Air Fryer Frozen Whole Chicken
Air Fryer Frozen Whole Chicken Ingredients:
- 1 Frozen Whole Chicken
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Place your frozen whole chicken in the air fryer basket.
- Cook for 20 minutes at 80c/180f if your chicken has giblets or 15 minutes at the same temperature if it doesn’t.
- Remove the chicken from the air fryer and remove the giblets. Smoother the skin in extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for a further 25 minutes at 180c/360f. When it beeps cook for a further 25 minutes on the other side. It cooks best if you do breast side first.
- Make sure the chicken is cooked and then serve. If not cooked, then carry on cooking in 15-minute intervals at the same temperature checking that it is fully cooked.
Can’t make it now? Then pin it for later!
Join The RecipeThis.com Community:
Plus, don’t forget to subscribe below to join our email newsletter with updates of our latest recipes, latest freebies, our cooking stories, plus much more: