Welcome to my air fryer leftover turkey and cheese calzone recipe. If you add together amazing pizza dough folded over with turkey and lots of cheese in the middle and then air fried it, then this is the leftover meal of your dreams.
Forget making soup with your leftovers as this is the ultimate taste sensation.
When I mentioned making this to my teenage son I told him it was the meal of his dreams.
That when he came home from school he would have a new take on one of his favourite meals and that when he got home he would get a great treat.
Like any teenage boy he loves pizza. I would put it in his top 5 foods along with a lot of pasta and endless supplies of chips and tomato ketchup.
Along with us he first tried a calzone when we were in America a few years ago but it was of the sweet variety and filled with chocolate and cream. In fact everyone else had two but thanks to a mess up in the order that was only one left free of nuts, thanks to his nut allergy.
They were delicious though and since then I have promised to make him one. Well we were in America 4 and a ½ years ago so I have finally got around to it.
But unlike the last one he had we are going down the savoury route this time and I am making one like the ones I used to have when I was growing up.
They were at the pizza restaurant at the bottom of my street (yes I forgot to mention that perk of growing up!) and we would have calzone pizzas that were full of cheese and sometimes ham depending on whether I was a vegetarian or not.
In this version though it will be loads of cheese, tomato sauce, bacon and a hunt in the fridge for some leftover meat!
Plus with it being Christmas Eve this is perfect for saving for the day after tomorrow when you want something amazing to go with your leftover turkey meat.
Air Fryer Leftover Turkey & Cheese Calzone
- Preheat your Air Fryer to 180c.
- Start by rolling out your pizza dough so that they are the size of small pizzas. In a small mixing bowl add together all the seasonings as well as the tomato sauce and puree.
- Using a cooking brush add a layer of tomato sauce to your pizza bases making sure that it doesn’t actually touch the edge with a 1cm space.
- Layer up your pizza with your turkey, bacon and cheese to one side.
- With the 1cm gap around your pizza base and using your cooking brush again, brush with beaten egg. Fold your pizza base over so that it resembles an uncooked Cornish pasty and all area that is now visible of the pizza dough to be brushed with more egg.
- Place in the Air Fryer for 10 minutes at 180c.