Air Fryer Roasted Chicken. Learn how to cook air fryer roasted chicken with sage and onion stuffing. If you have an air fryer then you MUST learn to cook roasted chicken in it and stuff it with deliciousness. Once you have cooked it my way then you will not want to go back to the old way of oven cooking.
I love roast chicken and on a Sunday in my mind the roast Sunday dinner is still such a big thing and something I still look forward to. Plus growing up in England it was what everyone had on a Sunday.
For classic Best Of British it would involve roast chicken, roast potatoes, cauliflower cheese, Yorkshire puddings, gravy and of course stuffing.
When we lived in England we would often have roast chicken, roast potatoes and a veggie bake and sometimes some stuffing.
When we made stuffing, it was always included a packet of sage and onion stuffing. In fact, this is the stuffing brand we bought for years. Then after a while Dominic pointed out to me how horrible the stuffing tasted and he would bypass some and me and Kyle would eat it all instead.
He mentioned how amazing stuffing could taste if you made your own and that it really wasn’t that hard to do yourself.
So, me being at my learning to cook phase, decided to give it a go. It included such simple ingredients too:
Mix it all in a bowl and you have sage and onion stuffing. Then make it into balls and you have an easy sage and onion stuffing method for whenever you’re cooking your roast dinner.
Plus, I am sure you will be like me when you come off the packets and make it yourself what a difference it can make in flavour.
Dominic was so right, and I will never go back to processed sage and onion stuffing ever again.
My daughter could easily make it. She is 3 years old and loves helping me cook in the kitchen. When I am cooking, I will be doing my prep and she will climb up onto the kitchen worktop to help. The majority of the time when food is seasoned in our house she will be the one sprinkling over the meat.
Here she is during her first toddler Easter when she made her first ever Easter buns:
Air Fryer Roasted Chicken With Sage & Onion Stuffing
Even though I have always had sage and onion stuffing balls, it is really interesting to actually stuff your chicken. Plus, when you stuff your chicken you don’t need as much of it compared to if you are making it into balls.
Here are a few principles to follow when stuffing chicken in the air fryer:
- Unlike with the oven you don’t need to cover the chicken with foil during the cooking process.
- If stuffing a chicken in the air fryer just add 10 minutes on each side onto the cooking time.
- Make the sage and onion stuffing slightly more wet compared to traditional oven chicken otherwise the stuffing will become hard and lack moisture.
- Cooking time on a small roast chicken is easy to remember – 25 minutes on each side when stuffed.
- You can alter sage and onion stuffing for your preferred type of stuffing.
- If you have spare stuffing, when you turn it over for the final 25 minutes cooking time and add sage and onion stuffing balls in the gaps.
- You can use these same cooking times on a roasted chicken that is slightly frozen i.e. 80% thawed.
- You need a large Air Fryer (this is the one we have) to be able to fit a roast chicken inside the air fryer.
I’m officially calling this recipe my DIY roasted chicken in the air fryer. That’s because you could swap our seasonings for your preferred seasonings, you could swap sage and onion stuffing for leek and thyme or even use this for a turkey breast over Thanksgiving time. In other words, I am providing you with the base so that you can easily cook roasted chicken in the air fryer with stuffing of your choice.
[clickToTweet tweet=”How To Cook #AirFryer #Roasted #Chicken With Sage & Onion Stuffing #Recipe @recipe_this” quote=”How To Cook #AirFryer #Roasted #Chicken With Sage & Onion Stuffing #Recipe @recipe_this”]
Air Fryer Roasted Chicken With Sage & Onion Stuffing
- First make your sage and onion stuffing. Peel and thinly dice the onion. Mix it together in a bowl along with the rest of your sage and onion stuffing ingredients.
- Stuff the sage and onion stuffing into the cavity of your roasted chicken.
- Massage the olive oil into the breast sides of the chicken until all skin has been massaged. Season the oily areas with salt, pepper and parsley.
- Turn the roasted chicken over and place in the air fryer breast side down.
- While it is sat in the air fryer rub the bottom skin areas of the chicken breast in the olive oil, followed by the same seasonings.
- Cook your air fryer roasted chicken breast side down for 25 minutes at 180c/360f.
- When the Air Fryer beeps using your tongs turn it over and cook it for the same amount of time and at the same temperature on the other side.
Where To Source Your Whole Chicken To Make Air Fryer Roasted Chicken With Sage & Onion Stuffing:
Mrs Beeton Air Fryer Roasted Chicken With Sage & Onion Stuffing
I thought it would be fun to compare notes with how the modern day roasted chicken is cooked in the air fryer and what used to be served up for our grandparents for dinner. To see how they seasoned theirs and exactly how it was cooked.
Plus, this year is all about Mrs Beeton and her book of household management. Below is the original:
This Mrs Beeton version is for simple roast chicken and how it was done many generations ago and its fascinating to read all about it.