Welcome to my Air Fryer turkey goujons and sweet chilli dip recipe. Or turkey fingers as they are called on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean!
For many, many years I ashamed to say that I lived out of the freezer and ate way too much processed foods. There were the trips to Iceland where you could get some great chicken dippers for just a pound, or those evening takeaways from Asda when you came home with a selection of pre-cooked chicken pieces that you put in the oven for 15 minutes and then you had supper.
But I have not had any of these products for many, many years.
However what stands out for me and for ditching them is a TV show by Jamie Oliver a few years back. He wanted to remove these processed turkey pieces called “turkey twizlers” from the menu in kids schools as they were being served up for lunch for young kids rather than giving them healthy food.
It started a long term thing to get kids eating healthy and to hopefully combat obesity. Even though I had stopped eating all this processed food by this point it had put me off for life. I never wanted to see another shop bought chicken goujon, chicken nugget, fish finger or chicken kiev ever again.
So when I was at my mums birthday party last year and saw that they had dished up for my dad some rubbish freezer thing covered in breadcrumbs I thought it was disgusting and couldn’t even bear to look at it. He clearly felt the same way as he didn’t eat it!
But the problem is with all these products is that kids love them. If you dangled a turkey twizler at them rather than giving them some steamed broccoli of course they will choose the processed foods.
But what if instead, we offered them some lovely homemade turkey goujons cooked in an airfryer instead from the leftover food, then I am sure they would be hooked and would be amazed by the difference in taste and what great unprocessed foods taste like.
Or never mind the kids we love these and could save them all for yourself!
More Side Recipes In The Air Fryer
- Airfryer Onion Rings
- Airfryer Calamari Rings
- Airfryer Chicken Nuggets
- Airfryer Chicken Wings
- Spicy Sweet Potato Wedges
- Mini Brazilian Turkey Pies
- Airfryer Veggie Bake Cakes
- Turkey Spring Rolls
- Sloppy Joe Stuffed Scones
- Five Cheese Pull Apart Bread
- Homemade Sausage Rolls
- Airfryer Pizza Hut Bread Sticks
- KFC Chicken Strips
- KFC Popcorn Chicken
- Airfryer Mini Cheese Scones
- Homemade Garlic Bread
- Airfryer Roast Potatoes
- Airfryer Garlic Potatoes
- Airfryer Chicken Wrapped In Bacon
- Airfryer Pigs In Blankets
- Sage & Onion Stuffing Balls
- Airfryer Stuffed Garlic Mushrooms
- Airfryer Croutons
- Airfryer Courgette Fritters
- Philips Airfryer
- Turkey Goujons:
- 100 g Leftover Turkey Breast cut into strips
- 50 g Breadcrumbs
- 25 g Gluten Free Oats
- 30 g Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Large Egg beaten
- 50 g Plain Flour
- 1 Tsp Thyme
- 1 Tsp Parsley
- Salt & Pepper
- Sweet Chilli Dip:
- 1 Small Red Chilli finely chopped and seeds removed
- 2 Tbsp Garlic Puree
- 100 g White Sugar
- Preheat your air fryer to 180c.
- Mix together your oats, cheese and breadcrumbs into a bowl together. Add your seasoning too.
- In a separate bowl add your egg.
- In another bowl add your flour.
- Lay out your turkey on a worktop and cover in salt and pepper as turkey needs a lot of salt as it can often be flavourless.
- Now place each of your turkey strips into the flour, the egg and then the breadcrumbs.
- Place in the air fryer for 7 minutes for 7 turkey goujons. Then 7 minutes for another 7 and so on until you’re done.
- While they are cooking make your sweet chilli dip. Place the sugar and the same amount again but in cold water into a medium pan. Place on a high heat and bring to the boil. Add the other ingredients and reduce the heat to a simmer for 10 minutes or until it has reduced. Allow to cool and then place in the fridge for 10 minutes.
It is a minute in the air fryer for each goujon with a minimum of 5. Therefore if you are cooking 10 of them then cook for 10 minutes. This of course depends on the size of your air fryer.