Air Fryer Pumpkin Pie. Two easy to follow ways to make pumpkin pie in the air fryer. Our air fryer version of homemade pumpkin pie is delicious and includes homemade air fryer pie crust. Perfect for either the air fryer or the air fryer oven.
Our Air Fryer Pumpkin Pie is an update from February 2016. We have updated it with new information, made it into 2 pumpkin pie recipes instead of 1 and shown you how to also make air fryer pumpkin pie in the air fryer oven. We hope you enjoy our updated version.
Air Fryer Pumpkin Pie
Welcome to our air fryer pumpkin pie recipes.
I am a HUGE fan of pumpkin and buy it all the time. I am lucky living in Portugal because it is not as seasonal compared to other countries. It might cost a little more, but I could get pumpkin in spring, summer, autumn and winter if I wanted to.
My neighbour grows pumpkin in her tiny garden and it always amazes me how much pumpkin she has and how delicious it tastes.
In Portugal pumpkin is more of a savoury thing and is the main type of soup and the healthy Portuguese eat it every day without fail.
One of my favourite ways to cook pumpkin is as pumpkin pie and OMG the air fryer does an AMAZING job.
Today I wanted to share with you both classic air fryer pumpkin pie, as well as air fryer pumpkin pie tarts. Both are delicious but they give you excellent alternatives depending on if you have an air fryer basket like the Philips XL, or a bigger air fryer oven like the Power Air Fryer Oven, that we also have.
Air Fryer Pie Crust + Instant Pot Pumpkin Puree
To make an air fryer pumpkin pie, it starts with the delicious sweet air fryer pie crust. If you have not already, I recommend clicking here to read our air fryer pie crust tutorial as its very useful for making air fryer pumpkin pie and all your other favourite pies.
When we make Air Fryer Pumpkin Pie, we have a system that we follow first.
I will cook the Instant Pot Pumpkin Puree at the same time as making the air fryer pie crust. That way I multitask and save time and it speeds up the process and makes sure you’re not spending the day in the kitchen.
As well as this, when I make my pumpkin pie filling, I prep it all in the Instant Pot, that way I am saving time on washing up.
Then once the air fryer pie crust is in my preferred air fryer pie pan, then I can focus on mixing up the pumpkin puree into pumpkin pie filling.
Then it can all cook together in the air fryer.
Air Fryer Pie Pan
The air fryer pie pan I used in this air fryer pumpkin pie recipe today was just a regular deep pan pizza dish.
Nothing glamourous or expensive about my air fryer pie pan. Just nice and cheap and something I had sat in the kitchen waiting to make something other than air fryer pizza!
It is also the perfect size that would just fit in my air fryer basket and my air fryer oven.
Here it is and remember this air fryer pie pan works for a whole range of dishes. Don’t just think you’re limited to air fryer pie!
Air Fryer Pumpkin Pie Tarts
These air fryer pumpkin pie tarts came about back in 2015. I really wanted to bake a pumpkin pie in the air fryer, but was disappointed that my old Philips Air Fryer was never big enough to make them in.
I decided to go with plan B and that plan B was our air fryer pumpkin pie tarts.
These pumpkin pie tarts were ideal for the air fryer because no matter how small your air fryer is, you can find space for little tart slots and then cook them with the same ingredients as a regular homemade pumpkin pie.
Air Fryer Oven Pumpkin Pie
But bring on the air fryer oven and you can now make a full sized pumpkin pie in the air fryer. Just think an 8 inch dish will fit onto one of the air fryer shelves making it perfect for a regular sized pie.
Even better, if you’re feeding a crowd you could EASILY do 3 air fryer pumpkin pies and have one on each shelf. The same could also apply to any of your other favourite pies. Such as chicken pot pie, apple pie, cherry pie and so on.
Our air fryer pumpkin pie was such a hit with our teen that he helped himself to it BEFORE we had chance to take photos of it for you and while it was setting in the fridge.
I am not surprised though, because have you tried telling an 18 year old lad to stay off some food before?
How To Make Air Fryer Pumpkin Pie?
If you’re organised with your prep, making air fryer pumpkin pie is easy as learning the alphabet. I also had Jorge in the kitchen to help me as at age 3 he thinks the best thing in the world is cooking and playing with pie crust.
- Make your air fryer pie crust. In a bowl mix your fat into your flour until you have a mixture that resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add in your other sweet pie crust ingredients such as cinnamon, nutmeg and caster sugar. With cold water make your mixture into a dry dough.
- Make your pumpkin puree. In the Instant Pot add fresh pumpkin and ginger chunks and steam your pumpkin. Once the pumpkin is steamed, drain and add in the rest of your pumpkin pie filling ingredients. Mix well with a hand mixer beating the eggs into the puree.
- Place your pie crust into your air fryer pie pan. Add in the pumpkin pie filling and place in the air fryer or air fryer oven. Once cooked leave to chill in the fridge overnight.
Tips For Perfect Air Fryer Pumpkin Pie
I am sure you have questions if you have not made air fryer pumpkin pie before. Well I wanted to share with you my BEST TIPS for making your pumpkin pie a HUGE success.
- Instant Pots organise you. By prepping the pumpkin pie filling in the Instant Pot can really speed up the process of making your pumpkin pie. Your pumpkin is first cooked in the Instant Pot and then the other ingredients are added in later.
- In a rush? If you’re in a rush for your pumpkin pie you can speed it up by draining your pumpkin more than you would usually do. This will mean it is less wet when it goes to set in the fridge and won’t take as long.
- Flavoursome pie crust is the best part of my air fryer pumpkin pie. You can add flavours that you would put in a pumpkin pie filling into the crust to make it taste even better. We do this by adding cinnamon and nutmeg to the crust.
- Freezer friendly. We placed both the leftover pumpkin pie filling and the last slices of pumpkin pie in the freezer for a later date. Freeze them first on a flat baking tray in the freezer for an hour. This will make them easier to handle as they will be stiff. Now transfer the pie slices from the baking tray to zip loc bags for easier freezing.
More Pumpkin Recipes
After a browse through the recipe archives at Recipe This, I have found even more pumpkin recipes for you to try out at home. These are all favourites for us in the Milner house.
- Air Fryer Pumpkin Fries
- Air Fryer Pumpkin Wedges
- Air Fryer Pumpkin Muffins
- Soup Maker Pumpkin Soup
- Air Fryer Pie Crust (used in our air fryer pumpkin pie)
- Instant Pot Pumpkin Puree (used to make our Pumpkin Pie)
Air Fryer Pumpkin Pie
Air Fryer Pie Crust Ingredients:
- Make your seasoned pie crust. In a bowl mix your diced butter into your flour until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add in the sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix well adding a little water at a time until you have a dry pie crust. Roll out your pie crust and place it in your pie pan.
- Cook Your Pumpkin. Add your cubed pumpkin and cubed ginger into the Instant Pot and add 1 cup of water. Set to manual pressure/pressure cook for 4 minutes. Use quick pressure release and manually release pressure.
- Drain Your Instant Pot. Using a sieve remove the liquid from your Instant Pot and then drain using a milk cloth. This will remove any excess liquid as pumpkin carries a lot and if you don’t it can stop your pumpkin pie from setting.
- Make your pumpkin pie filling. Place your drained pumpkin and ginger back in the Instant Pot and add all the pumpkin filling ingredients apart from the cream. Using a hand mixer, whisk the eggs and other ingredients into the pumpkin until you have a smooth thin pumpkin sauce. Whisk in the double cream and mix well.
- Place the pumpkin pie filling into the pie crust making sure it doesn’t go more than 1cm off the top. As otherwise it will be hard to handle and likely to leak over the top.
- Cook the pumpkin pie in the air fryer. Place the pumpkin pie on the middle shelf and cook for 25 minutes at 180c/360f.
- Move to the fridge and allow to cool overnight. This will help firm up your pumpkin pie and then the next day it will be ready for slicing.
Can’t make it now? Then pin it for later!
Join The RecipeThis.com Community:
Plus, don’t forget to subscribe below to join our email newsletter with updates of our latest recipes, latest freebies, our cooking stories, plus much more: