Welcome to our air fryer orange frosted carrot cake.
Let me start by saying that until moving to Portugal in 2008 I had never made carrot cake or even tried it. It wasn’t that I was against it or anything there was just always something else that grabbed my attention first. There was the profiteroles, the chocolate eclairs, the flapjacks and the chocolate cake.
I mean come on, as a teenager and you were asked between carrot cake and chocolate cake you would always choose the chocolate cake. People would think you were weird otherwise.
Then I tried carrot cake for the first time at my local Portuguese café and I was hooked. It tasted absolutely amazing and I wanted more and more of it. I had never tried cake so moist and realised that you didn’t have to have chocolate cake all the same. Though, most of the time is still on the agenda!
In this recipe Dominic is making the carrot cake in the airfryer with a lovely orange frosting. Though I better confess that I have eaten all the leftover frosting as it is so amazing licking out the bowl even when you’re 34 years old!
Air Fryer Orange Frosted Carrot Cake
- Preheat the airfryer to 180c for 10 minutes.
- Line a tin with a baking sheet and set to one side.
- Place the flour, mixed spice, grated carrots and sugar into a bowl. Mix them all thoroughly.
- Add the eggs, milk and oil to the centre of the mixture (forming a well) and beat with a wooden spoon until all your ingredients are mixed in well together.
- Place in your prepared baking tin and cook for 5 minutes on 180c. Then reduce the temperature to 160 and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- While the carrot cake is cooking make the frosting. Melt the butter, orange juice and rind then beat in the icing sugar until smooth.
- Once the carrot cake is done and is slightly cool add the icing sugar to the top.
- Chop into squares and serve!