Welcome to my Easy Traybake Chocolate Chip Blondies. Home baked chocolate chip blondies with 2 different types of chocolate chips and a taste that is so good, you wouldn’t be able to stop with just the one chocolate chip blondie.
Where do I start when I am talking about chocolate traybakes? They are just part of the diet, something that you grow up on and something that you adore from a small age.
It wasn’t until I was about 15 that I ever heard the word “brownies” and it wasn’t until last year that I had heard of blondies. You see I grew up in England and their idea of brownies (or their version) would always be either chocolate cake or chocolate shortbread made via a big fat traybake.
At school growing up you would have a really big slice of chocolate shortbread and it would be served with flavoured custard. My favourite was always the one with strawberry custard.
It was the best. I sat next to a really skinny girl that hated pudding so I would always finish hers. Maybe why I was chubby and she wasn’t? But it was so good, it was worth the extra bit of puppy fat.
But I also loved the chocolate sponge cake version that they served up with warm chocolate custard. It would have a delicious sprinkling of icing sugar on top and have loads of chocolate.
Plus the big difference between a British traybake and an American one would have to be the butter. Us Brits are butter obsessed and believe that everything tastes better if you have extra butter. So butter would come first.
Actually, better just say that I liked all desserts from school that were nut free. And that I was never bothered for the main course, but wanted to get my spoon into the dessert.
It would also be very simple to make the school puddings at home. Especially the chocolate shortbread. It had butter, plain flour, caster sugar and a cocoa and that would be it. It was also one of those things that I learnt first to cook for myself when I left home.
Here in 2017 though, I still have found memories of those school dinners. But now I am venturing into cooking blondies instead. Blondies are just like Brownies the only difference is that they are made with brown sugar being the star, rather than chocolate being the star.
Instead of cocoa you will add one main extra to the recipe as your classic add on. This could be chocolate smarties, chocolate chips, lemon or caramel. In our version though we have been greedy.
We have gone with white chocolate chunks and milk chocolate chips. It gives it the total wow factor and makes you a massive batch of chocolate chip brownies.
We also found that because it’s a traybake there was very little washing up and it was very fast and easy to make. This recipe is certainly going to be a keeper and we will be going back to it time and time again.
Easy Traybake Chocolate Chip Blondies
- Preheat the oven to 180c/356f and place chunks of the butter onto the baking tray. Place it in the oven for 3 minutes or until the butter has melted.
- Place the melted butter into a mixing bowl along with the brown sugar and using a hand mixer mix until you have a creamy brownie mixture.
- Mix in the egg, vanilla essence and the honey.
- Break the white chocolate into small pieces.
- Add the white chocolate, add the flour and mix in with a fork until you have a creamy blondie batter.
- Pour the mixture out into the big tray and flatten down and make sure all the tray is covered in blondie batter.
- Sprinkle over the top all the chocolate chips.
- Place the tray into the oven and cook for 25 minutes at 180c/356f.
- When cooked transfer to the cooling tray and when cool use a sharp knife to chop into blondie squares.