Welcome to my Copycat Air Fried McChicken Sandwich recipe here at RecipeThis.com.
Whether it is spring, summer, autumn or winter you can guarantee that a McChicken sandwich will be cooking in our Airfryer.
I have always loved the McDonalds chicken burger. For me it has been the simplicity that has always attracted me to it.
How something can taste so good when there really isn’t that much to it. You have a delicious piece of breaded chicken, followed by a big portion of mayonnaise, a handful of lettuce and a nice bun.
Not really a lot to get excited about, but the McChicken Sandwich has always done it for me.
I used to have them in McDonalds a lot in my teens and would have them with some medium fries and a milkshake.
It was lunch time heaven and to show how long ago it was, it would cost just £2.99. They cost close to double that now in Portugal so times have certainly changed from the mid 90’s.
I notice that whenever you go the local shopping centre here in Portugal that its rare that you see a Portuguese family eating there.
Fast Food at McDonalds is too expensive and is considered a luxury. You compare spending 5-6€ per person in McDonalds to eating at the local Portuguese café and there is a big difference.
You can get a full meal there rather than a McDonalds that rarely fills you up for about 30% less.
Or pay the same amount as McDonalds and you can expect to have a filling fairly healthy Mediterranean meal, including a drink and small dessert.
I am with them on that.
I can often go to McDonalds and end up spending 20€ and looking down at our tray and feeling like we really don’t have that much for our money.
But make your own McDonalds at home and its amazing how much money you can save, how delicious the food can be, how filling it can be and how much fun it can be to make one together as a family.
In this McChicken Sandwich I will be showing you how to make a delicious homemade chicken sandwich in the Airfryer.
Plus don’t forget to wash it down with my strawberry frappe!
How Many Calories In A McChicken Sandwich?
A McDonalds McChicken Sandwich or a McRoyal Chicken (as they call them here on the Mediterranean) comes in at 357 calories.
It is a lower calorie option for calorie counters compared to the Big Mac which is 563 calories.
However the McChicken Sandwich is unlikely to fill you up and keep hungry at bay thanks to it being just 131g compared to the 219g of a Big Mac.
If you added medium fries to a McChicken Sandwich then you would be looking at a total calorie consumption of 697 calories.
Copycat Air Fried McChicken Sandwich
- Place the chicken breasts into the food processor, removing any bones and skin first. Season it well with salt and pepper. Blitz your food processor until it resembles a similar texture of minced chicken.
- Add a chicken OXO cube, mixed herbs and mustard along with Worcester sauce to the food processor and give it another whizz round so that the chicken can become well seasoned.
- Remove the chicken from the food processor and make them into four equal sized burgers.
- Back in the food processor add the bread slices along with a little basil to give it a nice bit of flavour. But it will still have the seasoning from the bottom of the food processor.
- Roll the chicken burgers into the breadcrumbs. Make sure all sides and top and bottom are well coated and fridge for an hour on a large plate.
- Place the burgers into the grill pan inside the Airfryer and cook for 8 minutes at 175c/350F.
- While the burgers are cooking make the mayonnaise. Add homemade mayonnaise into a bowl and mix with honey and English mustard.
- When the burgers are cooked place them inside of bread buns with the homemade mayonnaise and salad garnish.
Where To Source Your Chicken Breasts To Make Copycat Air Fried McChicken Sandwich:
Healthy McChicken Sandwich
Yes there really is such a thing as healthy version of the McChicken Sandwich from McDonalds.
Starting with a homemade mayonnaise which is free of the usual unhealthy additives that you associate with shop bought mayonnaise.
Followed by lean chicken breast and wholemeal bread this makes this a winner.
We really like this burger as it is a fast food style burger just minus all the guilt that we usually have to worry about.
Plus as you can see below these Mcchicken Sandwich Burgers are PERFECT for Slimming World:
And to make it really Slimming World friendly just swap the honey for paprika and then use diet mayonnaise instead of homemade and then you have a 1 Syn McChicken Sandwich.
How Many Calories In MY Copycat McChicken?
So Dominic has worked really hard in creating a healthy version of the McDonalds McChicken Sandwich.
We have put all the ingredients together to see how good it is for your diet and the results are finally in.
Our copycat McChicken Sandwich (which I may add tastes amazing) works out at 344 calories per person.
We were rather generous on the sauces and the amount of bread that we had, so we could have made it lower in calories if we had wanted to.
Though it is also a lot healthier than the fast food alternative and slightly lower in calories too. Plus think of the money you could be saving by making your own!