Welcome to my flourless air fryer crunchy cheese straws recipe. Add the British bakery into the kitchen minus the high carbs with this healthier version of the British classic.
I am all for the British bakery but quite often it involves things with a lot of pastry and a lot of flour that is really not good for me, but I wish it was.
I used to love buying cheese straws from the bakery and I would often get a handful of them because one was never enough.
Usually I would be walking past the bakery and the smell of all the different pastries would lure me in and it would often be a choice between the sausage roll and the cheese straw.
Well as I am no good at choosing one favourite food over another I would often end buying BOTH.
Our local town would have about 10 different bakeries and I was always in trouble (or my waistline was) whenever I went past!
Since moving to Portugal and not having access to the bakery and the fact that I don’t like Portuguese baked goods as much means that I either go without or make my own. Well I LOVE baking so its all about making it myself.
The main items I make regularly are cheese straws, cheese scones, sausage rolls and shortbread biscuits. They are all great and well worth the effort to make.
But as I have said earlier they’re really not good for me and I stay away whenever I can.
However in this recipe I have replaced the flour with a vegetable and even though it is full of cheese I have cut the calories on the flour so who cares.
So follow the recipe to discover how easy it is to make cheese straws from cauliflower instead of plain flour and have a cheese moment with me.
If you would like to find out more about the Philips airfryer then click here.
Flourless Air Fryer Crunchy Cheese Straws
- Place your oats in a food processor and blitz until they resemble fine breadcrumbs.
- In a steamer add your cauliflower florets and steam for 20 minutes. Once steamed drain and allow to cool. Place in a clean pillow case and squeeze out all excess water.
- Place in a bowl ½ the cauliflower along with the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Start to combine the mixture into a dough by adding a bit more cauliflower at a time until it is fully combined.
- Twist them into straw strips and place them on a baking mat inside your air fryer.
- Cook for 10 minutes on each side at 180c.