Welcome to my homemade steak and ale pie for two in the Airfryer recipe.
If you want to go back in time to the 80’s or even further the traditional pie will be a huge part of your food memories. I was an 80’s baby and Dominic was a 70’s baby growing up in the North of England and we all have memories of the trusted pie.
I remember my mum would always be cooking the traditional steak and kidney pie in the kitchen for my Dad. We didn’t have a very big kitchen because we lived on the premises of a holidays flats establishment, so if cooking was happening it would smell the whole place out.
Well she would be cooking these pies and I thought the smell of them was absolutely disgusting and I always wanted to be as far away from them as possible. To me (I was a vegetarian at the time) it looked like dog food with some pastry on top. I also hated really thick old fashioned gravy and always thought that kidneys were absolutely disgusting.
But my dad loved it. She would do a good batch of it and there would be plenty for the freezer for when he wanted some more.
For Dominic he was like many that grew up in the processed food era. There would always be a supply of frozen steak and kidney pies in the freezer and that is all Dominic had tasted until he was working as a chef in the late 90’s. When we was working he made the real thing and realised how amazing they were and when served with mash and gravy was the ultimate food. It soon became one of his favourites!
The only pies I ever liked was always the chicken and vegetable ones but Dominic said that with it being man food month that it was only right that we featured his delicious homemade steak and ale pies and he even promised me that there would be no kidneys whatsoever and it would never look like dog food. Here is his recipe. Full of flavour and I joined him the kitchen and added my shortcrust pastry to the mix. I actually ended up pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it!
[clickToTweet tweet=”Homemade #Steak & Ale Pie For Two In The #Airfryer via recipe_this” quote=”Homemade #Steak & Ale Pie For Two In The #Airfryer via recipe_this”]
Homemade Steak & Ale Pie For Two In The Airfryer
- Place in a large pan the onion, stewing steak, tomato puree and the olive oil. Cook on a medium heat until the beef is sealed.
- In a jug add the can of ale and double it with warm water. Place it in the pan along with the OXO cubes and the salt and pepper. Stir the ingredients and then bring to the boil on a high heat. Reduce the temperature to low and simmer for an hour.
- In a small bowl mix together a tablespoon of plain flour with 3 tablespoons of warm water. This will provide you with a thickening agent for your pie. Pour it into the pan slowly (a bit at a time) and mix well.
- Take the meat off the heat and put to one side.
- Roll out your shortcrust pastry and line your ramekins or mini pot pie dishes. Dust them with flour first though to stop them sticking. Add your pie filling and then add extra pastry for the top. Stab with a fork so that they have chance to breathe.
- Cook in the Airfryer for 10 minutes at 200c and then a further 6 minutes at 170c in order for them to cook in the middle.
- Serve with homemade mash.