Welcome to how to make Nandos chicken in the Airfryer. Get ready for a taste sensation of crispy whole chicken with a medium spiced peri peri marinade. Served with mixed potato wedges and giving you an authentic Portuguese meal experience.
I will be sharing with you my fail safe plan for a delicious Nandos whole chicken with the famous peri peri marinade. As well as this I will be sharing with you 2 different versions along with the dream Nandos sauce. You can then print it and save it and have a Nandos takeaway at home.
For me Peri Peri (or Piri Piri as I know it) is one of my favourite ever foodie moments and it makes me so glad that I can call Portugal my home country. I am a British Expat so I can’t say I was born with it in my blood, but I have called it home for the last 9 years and I dread to think in that time, how many times I have binged my way through the spicy Portuguese chicken.
Our favourite way to enjoy it is from our local supermarket. You see here in Portugal (well unless you live in a big city) there is no such thing as ringing up a takeaway. Those British days when you rang up a takeaway and pizza came to your door 20 minutes later are well gone. Instead you grab something to take away from the supermarket instead.
We will buy a Piri Piri Rotisserie Chicken, some fresh bread, some pate and some cheese. Then cook some potato wedges in the Airfryer and that will be our dream takeaway night.
We are also not alone with this though, as we also see a lot of Portuguese doing the same thing. Though many of them will add some ham to the list as they can’t live without their cheese, ham and bread.
How To Make Nandos Sauce
To start with we are talking about the marinade. That amazing homemade sauce that Nandos makes to go over your raw chicken before you cook it to crispy perfection in the Philips Airfryer.
How To Make Nandos Chicken In The Airfryer
- Chop your chicken in half so that it is halfway through the breastbone and so that each side has equal parts of everything.
- Place the chicken onto a sheet of silver foil as it will make it easiest for marinating with less mess.
- In a blender add to it everything apart from the chicken that you see in the ingredients list. Blitz until you have a coarse marinade.
- Season your chicken on both sides (over the silver foil) in extra salt and pepper. Then using a pastry brush, brush over the marinade onto all the skin parts of the chicken, so that it is well coated.
- Fridge for an hour then place them in the bottom of your Airfryer.
- Cook the 2 halves for 15 minutes at 180c/356f with the bone side down and then 10 minutes with the bones up at the same temperature.
We have found the best place to source whole chicken to make How To Make Nandos Chicken In The Airfryer is from ButcherBox. You even receive free bacon and $10 off your first order when you sign up with this link.
Where To Source Your Whole Chicken To Make How To Make Nandos Chicken In The Airfryer:
How To Make Nandos Chicken
Now that we have shown you our delicious marinade and how to cook a half chicken the Portuguese way, how about a full chicken? Full of traditional Nandos Peri Peri flavourings and cooked in the Airfryer in just 40 minutes. Bring it on!
How To Make Nandos Chicken In The Airfryer
- Season all sides of your whole chicken with salt and pepper.
- Place the whole chicken in your Airfryer with breast down and bum up in the air. Any bits that are still exposed (when sat in the Airfryer) brush with the marinade.
- Cook for 20 minutes at 185c/365f.
- Then after 20 minutes turn the chicken over so that the breast is pointing up. Brush the marinade over the breast and any other exposed skin.
- Cook for another 20 minutes at the same temperature.
- When the chicken has beeped. Remove it from the Airfryer and put to one side to rest.
- While it is resting cook the wedges. Slice up the mixed potatoes into wedges shapes and place in the Airfryer for 20 minutes on 185c. Sprinkle them with a little dried paprika before cooking.
- Remove the potato wedges once cooked and give them a sprinkling of salt and pepper.
- Serve the potato wedges with the Nandos Whole Chicken.
Authentic Nandos Chicken
Nandos Chicken was originally created by a Portuguese man. He understood what authentic Portuguese food was about and wasn’t going to compromise on his roots. And you shouldn’t compromise either.
Don’t throw lots of weird ingredients onto your chicken that are not needed and have never formed part of a traditional Piri Piri Chicken recipe.
In recent years I have seen caster sugar and even ginger going into recent recipes.
Also don’t feel like you have to marinade a chicken overnight as the majority of the time you don’t. I only find that the overnight marinade is necessary with chicken wings. Where as every other recipe it is not needed.
How To Make Nandos Chicken Recipe Podcast
We also have created a short version of the recipe into a Podcast. We have loaded it up onto our Itunes account and it is great for a quick download and then you can save it to your phone and then have it in your kitchen with you as you cook.
Nandos On Slimming World
I love this whole chicken and it shouts out “eat me on Slimming World”. The only part of the chicken that has Syns is the chicken and the marinade. But if you lose the chicken skin then you are talking very little to worry about.
For a whole chicken it is just short of 3 tablespoons of olive oil. This then works out at just 16 Syns for the whole chicken or 4 Syns per person based on 4 people sharing the chicken and wedges.
Plus it is great for SP Slimming World days if you stick to just sweet potato wedges and avoid white potatoes.
Nandos Nutritional Info:
So how about the Nandos Nutritional Info? Well you would think that it would be super high in the calories or super high in bad fats.
However the truth is very different when it comes to Nandos chicken & wedges. It is full of goodness, good fats and lean chicken for the ultimate healthy dinner.
Many of our neighbours live well into their 90’s thanks to following the Portuguese diet. Just think how many articles you have read about how amazing the Mediterranean Diet is.
There are 430 calories per person for the whole chicken and the wedges. A great choice for a low calorie family dinner.