Welcome to my latest post where I am spying on Dominic while he makes me the best ever chicken stock.
I just love a chicken roast or a chicken casserole. They are delicious and perfect for the super cold winter months.
As you can see if you’ve read any of my posts lately I am a little obsessed with how cold it is. I moved to Portugal for the lovely summer weather and in winter I become obsessed with staying warm and praying for the odd summer day.
I should get things into prospective as I have family that live in Vermont that need winter tyres on throughout the winter months, yet on a bad day we see weather of about 55F to 66F on a good day. So it is not like I actually own a winter coat. I just need to have a fire on during the evening and wear lots of snugly fleeces.
But throughout winter it would just not be the same without lots of roasted chicken both in the oven, the slow cooker and best of all in a warm chicken soup in our soup maker.
But I will confess now my idea of chicken stock has always been a chicken OXO cube mixed with some boiling water. This is hardly the way that we should be making chicken stock and with me wanting to eat healthier I have decided the time has finally come to make my own chicken stock.
The only problem is that I have never made chicken stock in my life. Dominic pointed out to me that we have everything in to make it, so there was no reason why we didn’t.
So after having a lovely roast chicken dinner last weekend we decided it was the perfect time to make our own. With a little (well a lot) of help from Dominic I can finally say that I can make a great chicken stock and that it is now in our freezer for future meals. Then the next time I would normally add an OXO cube I have Plan B.
It makes me a little disappointed that I have never bothered making it from scratch before. After all, I give my mother grief for serving our teenage son mashed potatoes out of a packet so I am no better when it comes to stock.
[clickToTweet tweet=”How To Make The Best Ever Chicken Stock from @recipe_this” quote=”How To Make The Best Ever Chicken Stock from @recipe_this”]
How To Make The Best Ever Chicken Stock
- Place your chicken carcass in a large pan and fill it half full with water.
- Place your vegetables in the water with the chicken.
- Then add your seasoning and boil for 1 hour on a high heat. Then reduce the heat to a lower setting for a high simmer for a further hour (or until the liquid has reduced by half).
- Every 15-20 minutes skim off the excess fat on the top of the stock.
- Then using a very fine strainer (conical strainer) strain the liquid into a large bowl and then skim off the excess fat.
- Pour into plastic containers and once cool freeze them for later.