Welcome to my ice cream maker stuffed orange ice cream recipe.
I am always telling my son that I get the inspiration for my ice cream and using my Ice Cream Maker from the Italians. After all from a food point of view I always associate the Italians with ice cream, pizza and pasta. This is why I am super glad that I don’t live in Italy as I would be huge. There would be at least three of me, with all this food that I simply can’t turn down!
But when it comes to ice cream that I had as a kid that I loved, the Indians also get a look in and this brings me to my favourite pudding that I had at the Indian restaurant. We used to go out for an Indian at least once a month.
It would my parents and I and I would be in food heaven. We would have popadoms with salsa first, followed by a starter of usually some deep fried Indian delights that were really not good for my waistline that are making me hungry now just thinking about them. Then the main course would usually be a chicken dish with a naan bread and some chips or rice.
Then there would be pudding and it would nearly always be this.
My parents at this point would look like they had lost all their sanity. Not only was I the slowest eater on the planet (I still am) but after they had waited 30 minutes for me to finish, I then wanted pudding.
So they would sit there while I had this delicious orange ice cream feast that I had every time we went.
It would be an orange stuffed with orange ice cream and then the orange lid would be placed back on it. They brought it directly out of the freezer so you would use a napkin to keep your hands from freezing to death, as you ate it.
But it was delicious and I loved it. Though for our version we have added whipped cream to the top, because we are clearly going through a fattening naughty cream month!
And here is an insight of us as food bloggers discussing the idea……
I said to Dominic you must make me some orange ice cream. He looked at me like I had a screw loose and said nobody has orange ice cream and that they have sorbet but not oranges in actual ice cream, but I was rather insistent.
That was in the morning. In the evening while he was tucking into his orange ice cream he said how amazing it was and that it was a brand new thing for him and maybe the Indian restaurants had something special! Said the guy that hates Indian food. Well at least I know what he can eat when we next go for a curry!!!!
[clickToTweet tweet=”#Icecream Maker Stuffed #Orange Ice Cream via @recipe_this” quote=”#Icecream Maker Stuffed #Orange Ice Cream via @recipe_this”]
Ice Cream Maker Stuffed Orange Ice Cream
- Using an electric whisk, beat together the egg yolks along with the sugar until they are lovely and fluffy.
- Heat the milk and your cream in a small pan. When it is warm add the vanilla and the cinnamon.
- Add the orange rind and juice and stir it in along with the egg and sugar mixture.
- Transfer to a high heat and cook for 5 minutes stirring regularly. Transfer the pan to the fridge and allow cooling for an hour.
- Add the mixture to your ice cream maker and have it on a 45 minute setting.
- While the ice cream is being made cut the top off your orange, remove the centre and place in the freezer for 10 minutes so that the orange goes nice and solid.
- When the ice cream is done in the machine, fill your oranges with ice cream and place the lid back on. Place in the freezer for 2 hours.
- When you get your stuffed oranges out of the freezer lift the lid off and place whipped cream in the top and then serve.