Welcome to my latest recipe in the Instant Pot and to celebrate St Paddy’s Day today here is our take on colcannon with some delicious leftover turkey. This is made with soft cheese, plenty of parsley and leftover turkey for a great family meal that you can dive straight into today.
Happy St Paddy’s Day from us all here at RecipeThis.com!
There are many of you that read our blog that will not know that I have some Irish blood in the family. Prior to settling down and raising a family in Yorkshire my Grandma started her life in Ireland.
I would sit there eagerly as she would share with me lots of stories of growing up. This would have been the 1920’s and they always sounded so fascinating and I would love to hear about it. As she got older and dementia took its toll on her memory I would hear the same old stories over and over again.
I loved it and the 90’s were full to bursting with her stories until she died when I was 16 in 1998. Like any Grandma I miss her dearly and to celebrate St Paddy’s Day today I am dedicating this delicious potato dish to her my lovely Grandma Babs.
In her old age she never cooked much as she was not capable. Plus with being a widow and just having herself to feed she couldn’t be bothered. But one thing was for certain and that was that there would always be a big supply of potatoes. Her favourites were jacket potatoes from Marks & Spencers and they would have those delicious fillings just like this recipe we did.
But for the ultimate potato kick that the whole family can dive into how about some Irish mash with loads of savoy cabbage, soft cheese and then some simple seasonings. It brings me back to childhood and is great as a side dish or as a main meal.
When we tested this recipe in the Instant Pot we put a little potato to one side so that Jorge could have his first ever bit of potato and to say he loved it is an understatement.
More Potato Recipes In The Instant Pot
- Instant Pot New Potatoes
- Instant Pot Perfect Mashed Potato
- Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Instant Pot Baked Sweet Potato
- Instant Pot Crash Hot Potatoes
- Instant Pot Spanish Potato Hash
- Instant Pot No Peel Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Instant Pot Brazilian Potatoes
[clickToTweet tweet=”#InstantPot #Creamy #Turkey #Colcannon #Recipe via recipe_this” quote=”#InstantPot #Creamy #Turkey #Colcannon #Recipe via recipe_this”]
- In your Instant Pot place in it the diced turkey breast along with olive oil and a little salt and pepper. Sauté until the turkey is nearly cooked.
- Cancel the sauté.
- Chop the potatoes into medium sized chunks. Slice the cabbage into strips and place both the cabbage and the potatoes into the Instant Pot.
- Add 240ml of turkey stock to the Instant Pot place the lid on and set it to sealing.
- Cook for 10 minutes of the steam function.
- Manually release pressure and remove about ½ of the stock so that the mash won’t be runny.
- Mash it in the Instant Pot with the milk, butter, soft cheese and finish by seasoning it with salt, pepper and parsley.
- Give it a good mix around so that the turkey is not just at the bottom and that the cheese has had chance to be well mixed.
In this recipe the smaller the pieces of the turkey the better - It is going to add flavour to the potatoes rather than be chunky and will break up as the potatoes cook. So don’t do big chunks!
I always use butter and milk in my mash for a delicious creamy texture. Mash just wouldn’t be the same without it!
Potato skin makes delicious mash, so when preparing the potatoes just dice them up with the skin still on.