Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes. How to make the most delicious ever mashed sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot. These quick and simple Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes are Paleo, Vegan, Vegetarian and Whole30 friendly.
I rarely eat Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes. This is not because I don’t love them, because I truly do, but because sweet potatoes cost a lot more here in Portugal compared to traditional white potatoes.
We will pay 30 cent a kilo for white potatoes, then sweet potatoes only if they are on a special deal will be 99 cent a kilo. Which they were on this week, so I hand picked lots of really big ones.
Plus, when they are this big then can make loads and loads of big chunks of sweet potatoes that are perfect for Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes:
But with white potatoes you always know what you are going to get. Yet with sweet potatoes they are in odd shapes and when you peel them and dice them up, remove any bad bits its hard to say what the end result will be.
Plus, I don’t eat white potato mash in the Instant Pot very often either, just because you have to go through a lot of potatoes to make enough to feed five of you mash.
However, it is one of those food luxuries that if I do have a lot of potatoes at the right price I am making Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes before you can say “pass me the Instant Pot”.
Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes take just 10 minutes to cook in the Instant Pot pressure cooker. Plus, some people might say 10 minutes is too long, but for me it means that they are really soggy and then only take a minute or two with a good potato masher to turn into the tastiest Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes that are free of lumps and very creamy.
I also mash my mashed sweet potatoes in the inner pot of the Instant Pot, this saves on washing up and it makes the perfect place for mashing. Just drain the sweet potatoes first in the sink and then mash away.
I also prefer my Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes with olive oil or coconut oil, rather than with butter. It gives a more Mediterranean flavour and makes them taste more luxurious rather than the cheap WW2 food that they once were.
More Potato Recipes In The Instant Pot
- Instant Pot New Potatoes
- Instant Pot Perfect Mashed Potato
- Instant Pot Baked Sweet Potato
- Instant Pot Crash Hot Potatoes
- Instant Pot Spanish Potato Hash
- Instant Pot No Peel Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Instant Pot Brazilian Potatoes
- Instant Pot Turkey Colcannon
[clickToTweet tweet=”#MeatlessMonday #InstantPot #PressureCooker Mashed Sweet Potatoes #Recipe @recipe_this” quote=”#MeatlessMonday #InstantPot #PressureCooker Mashed Sweet Potatoes #Recipe @recipe_this”]
Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Peel and dice the sweet potatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place them on top of the steamer shelf (trivet) and pour a cup (240ml) over the potatoes.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot, set the valve to sealing and cook for 10 minutes on manual.
- When it beeps manually release pressure (QPR), drain and then place them back into the Instant Pot inner pot.
- Season with more salt and pepper along with adding the olive oil and the thyme.
- Using a good masher, mash until you no longer have any lumps.
10 minutes may seem a lot for the Instant Pot but remember that you want them very soggy so that they make good mash. By them being this soggy they are easier for lump free mash and it doesn’t feel like you are making much of an effort.
You can swap the olive oil for coconut oil, butter, margarine or avocado oil. I season with salt and pepper twice. This is because they can lose the flavour when the Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potato goes to pressure.