This leftover turkey stroganoff without cream is a leftover turkey recipe that we have been prepping for years. With just 3 main ingredients, no cream, no canned soup, perfect for freezing for later, it is truly perfect.
I have been making this creamy turkey dish for years and freezing it for later, before anyone even said that it is like turkey stroganoff just without the pasta. I had just never really given it a name.
I started making it when we lived in an apartment and only had a tiny freezer. It meant that the freezer was only ever used for food that we truly cared for. This meant that after Christmas it was full of leftover turkey recipes that I made last for a couple of months for when we could no longer get a turkey.
Last Thanksgiving when I was prepping my leftover turkey stroganoff I spotted a leftover turkey recipe for turkey stroganoff on Pinterest. I was disgusted by the fact that it used canned soup in it. I mean how unhealthy is canned soup? Especially when you can make a quick sauce at home and do it in less time than it takes to warm up a can of soup!
I went on to take these pictures that you are seeing last Christmas and planned to save them and schedule the blog post in the run up to Thanksgiving. Unlike in the US its hard to get a fresh whole turkey outside of Christmas. We end up paying double for a frozen one at Thanksgiving then at Christmas we buy one and then get some extra ones for the freezer for a few roast dinners throughout the year.
This turkey stroganoff is the can’t be bothered turkey stroganoff recipe. When you have a) had enough of turkey and wish that you were a vegetarian b) have all this turkey that must be used today and really can’t be bothered to cook yet another leftover turkey recipe.
To make turkey stroganoff from turkey leftovers you simply:
- Break up your turkey meat into stroganoff pieces
- Using a pan mix together soft cheese and milk to create a creamy sauce
- Blend a little turkey to provide a turkey stock and add it to your sauce
- Load it with the leftover turkey and mix well
- Throw it into zip loc bags and freeze for later
Isn’t it brilliant for a turkey stroganoff recipe that takes up just 3 ingredients? It took me less than 5 minutes to make and that is including the time taken to carry the bags of turkey stroganoff to the freezer for next year.
Plus, if like many families, everyone leaves the brown meat because everyone has gone for the breast, then it is just perfect for this too.
It is the best ever leftover turkey recipe! But if you want more then have a read of our 17 leftover turkey recipes. Last year we literally made 17 meals from one whole turkey!
Just imagine making this when you’re bored of turkey leftovers and that when you are missing turkey again, that you can grab one of the bags from the freezer, throw it in the pan, add some pasta if you wish and you have a nice family dinner of turkey stroganoff.#Leftover #Turkey #Stroganoff Without Cream @recipe_thisClick To Tweet
- Break up your leftover turkey into stroganoff sizes.
- Put aside 3Tbsp of leftover turkey pieces.
- In a large pan mix together 400g of soft cheese with an equal amount of milk. Turn the heat onto medium and cook in a pan with a wooden spoon until you have a creamy slightly thin stroganoff sauce.
- Add the 3Tbsp of leftover turkey pieces and blend with a hand blender until all the turkey pieces have blended into the sauce.
- Take off the heat, add in the turkey pieces and allow the sauce to cool a little.
- Bag it up into freezer bags and freeze once completely cold.
Its important that you use skimmed milk not whole milk. This is because you don’t want the sauce going into the freezer really thick. Otherwise it won’t be as nice when you defrost. Use skimmed which is rather watery and you will have a much better sauce.
Always go with your own judgement – if the sauce is too thick add more skimmed milk, if it is too thin add extra soft cheese. As you can see from the pictures at Christmas we get a huge soft cheese tub. Its perfect for cooking with over Christmas and a large one can often save you money overall.
I have put down serving size as 12. This is because it made enough for us for 3 separate meal servings. If you feel it needs it, season with salt and pepper.