Welcome to my Paleo slow cooked Greek moussaka recipe.
I remember years and years ago when my signature dish for Dominic was lasagne. I would make it all the time because frankly it was all I was any good at.
It is also that fear that when you are married to a chef that you must cook them something special and it wasn’t like cooking for other people.
Not that I should have taken it too seriously as I was watching Gordon Ramsay last night and he said the first thing his wife cooked for him was beans on toast.
So clearly if that worked for him I didn’t need to put a lasagne together!
Well Dominic absolutely loved it and it is also Kyle’s favourite food with lots of nagging for when I am next making it.
But once I was a little different with it as I had all these spare leftovers in my fridge and I am all for being frugal and saving money.
Therefore my lasagne suddenly had lots of aubergine sliced on top followed by a potato layer with sautéed garlic potatoes.
It was delicious and Dominic said that he didn’t know that I liked moussaka.
Well I have made different moussakas over the years and I love the mix of vegetables with a traditional lasagne flavour.
But I also like healthy meals and have made this version of the traditional moussaka into a much healthier version and full of more vegetables than what you’re used to.
Paleo Slow Cooked Greek Moussaka Recipe
- Slow Cooker
- 1 Large Onion peeled and diced
- 300 g Minced Beef
- 1 Large Courgette chopped into small chunks
- 3 Fresh Tomatoes
- 250 g Tinned Tomatoes
- 2 Large Aubergines
- Cauliflower Sauce get the recipe here
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp Garlic Puree
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Puree
- Handful Fresh Mint
- 1 Tbsp Parsley
- 1 Tsp Thyme
- 1 Tsp Oregano
- Salt & Pepper
- In a large wok cook your onion and garlic with a little olive oil and add in your tomato puree and your fresh mint. Cook for 5 minutes or until your onions are cooked.
- Add your minced beef, courgette, tomatoes (fresh and canned) along with your seasonings. Cook for 10 minutes or until your mince is well cooked. Put the heat down on your wok to its lowest setting and simmer for 10 minutes.
- While your mince is cooking chop up your aubergines into thin slices on your chopping board. Sprinkle them with a good dose of salt and pepper.
- When the mince is cooked add a layer of mince to the slow cooker, a layer of sliced aubergines, another layer of mince and then a final layer of aubergine.
- Pour cauliflower sauce over your aubergines and put the lid on your slow cooker.
- Cook on a high setting for 3 hours.