Welcome to my Slimming World Beef Cannelloni Fakeaway night in. A delicious homemade beef cannelloni with a genius change in the recipe to not only make these beef cannelloni gluten free but also Syn free on Slimming World too.
I love Italian food. From the ages of 7 to age 17 I was lucky enough to have a pizza restaurant at the end of my street. It was a big restaurant and I spent many birthdays here as I was growing up.
I would love to watch them as they made the garlic bread and OMG it smelt out of this world……AMAZING.
Then they did the most amazing calzone pizzas that were filled with cheese and bacon. It was like food heaven and for a kid this was the closest to heaven that you were ever going to experience.
Though of course, go on a day when the main chef was on the night off and the food was awful. But apart from that I could never complain.
It eventually closed and the building was changed into a Chinese Buffet and that was me done with my favourite childhood Italian restaurant.
When I ate there I always had a garlic bread, then this would be followed up with a calzone, then I don’t recall dessert though I am sure I would have had plenty!
A couple of years after it shut its doors my mum had found a good replacement for us in town and we went in a girl gang.
I was heavily pregnant with Kyle at the time (OMG he is 16 years old now) and I remember being forced into this small seat in the corner so that I wouldn’t get in the way of the waiter.
I had beef cannelloni just because I love it and it is so good. It was the first time I had eaten it at a restaurant compared to making it myself.
Even though it was so good, it was so unhealthy too with the really thick cheese sauce, the cannelloni pasta tubes and of course the mince wouldn’t be low fat!
So what if I go back to before my first was born, get excited over those 2001 flavours and make a delicious Slimming World Beef Cannelloni version. A beef cannelloni that is Syn Free, flourless, gluten free and delicious too.
I have done one before on RecipeThis.com but it was not that healthy and I felt I owed it to myself to make a super healthy version!
Gluten Free Cannelloni
The idea for this came when Dominic was making my lunch one day. I was on the Whole30 at the time and I was sick of always having a cooked lunch so he made me an omelette instead.
Nothing fancy but just a quick red pepper one. Then he folded it in two and added some leftover pork in the middle.
I thought at first glance that even though the texture was slightly different, that it looked JUST like a tuna and sweetcorn wrap that he used to make me all the time.
It gave me food for thought and I thought just HOW PERFECT it would be as an alternative to tortilla wraps.
If you want to be gluten free, or you are sick of always having pasta or bread with your lunch to try this instead.
We then followed this method to replace a lot of our pasta and bread and realised we were onto something special.
Just think just 1 egg and you have a make do wrap, a sandwich, tortilla chips and so much more.
From a Slimming World point of view you’re probably SHOUTING what are you doing you can have cannelloni tubes for free on Slimming World. This is of course completely true.
But what about when you are on your speed days? What about when you think about the cost and how much cannelloni tubes cost compared to 1 egg?
Or are you like me? When if you eat a big pasta meal you end up with a big fat weight gain that week? As I eat pasta and that’s it I am 3 pounds heavier. Obviously I wish that was not the case, but these is a delicious in between option.
Beat The Takeaway Slimming World Beef Cannelloni
We all have 20 minutes to give when we finish work. 20 minutes to prepare dinner, get it in the oven and then get back to our TV or go to have a relaxing soak in the bath. Or in our world get our under 3s ready for bed.
We set aside 20 minutes as a couple, to prepare this dish, get it in the oven and then grab it out of the oven later when it is bubbled up and really cheesy and garlicky with that Italian godess flavouring.
Slimming World Beef Cannelloni Recipe
- Peel and dice the onion. Dice and remove the cores from the red pepper and tomatoes. Place them into a large pan along with your garlic puree and cook for 3 minutes or until the tomatoes have started to soften.
- Remove most of the pan contents and place them in your blender, along with the tinned tomatoes, just leaving enough in the pan for cooking your mince in. Blend the contents of the blender along with 1Tbsp of the Italian seasoning and leave in the blender for now.
- Cook the mince for 5 minutes on a high heat with the remaining pan contents and stir regularly.
- After 5 minutes put on a low heat and allow to simmer for 5 minutes. Use a ladle if you need to in order to remove any excess fat that has collected on the top.
- While the mince is simmering make the omelettes. Beat an egg in a measuring jug with a fork and make 1 omelette at a time on a medium heat in your frying pan. Place them all on a dinner plate and allow to cool a little.
- After 5 minutes, give it a stir, add the rest of the Italian seasoning and add the contents of the blender, give it a further stir, take off the heat and allow to cool for a minute or two.
- While it is cooling make the cheese sauce in the blender and put to one side.
- Fill your omelettes with mince and roll them up so that they look like cannelloni tubes. And stack them in the bottom of your casserole dish.
- Then cover them with the cheese sauce and bake in the oven for 20 minutes at 180c/360f.
Slimming World Beef Cannelloni
The big fat benefit of this Slimming World Beef Cannelloni recipe is that it only requires the one seasoning as it has everything in one (you can read more about it in the review below) and you don’t even need salt!
As well as this from a Syns point of view….it has NONE. Just 0.875 of one Healthy Extra A for the cheese sauce. That’s it!
I also really did beat the takeaway (as mentioned above) as it took just 18 minutes to get it prepared and ready for the oven, then just 20 minutes to cook in the oven!