Slow Cooker Chipotle Carnitas is a must have Chipotle Copycat Recipe. Featuring 4 main ingredients it is a classic dump and start slow cooker Mexican pulled pork recipe. Serve your slow cooker chipotle carnitas in tacos, on salads, or in your favourite Mexican soups.
Slow Cooker Chipotle Carnitas isa delicious dump and start slow cooker recipe that us Milners love to throw into the slow cooker when we are feeling tired and can’t be bothered with cooking. Originally posted back in 2017 we are updating it for you today.
Slow Cooker Chipotle Carnitas
I have this big complaint when I am browsing new slow cooker recipes to try out. It is probably the same complaint that you have about slow cooker recipes, that I want to solve for you today with my Slow Cooker Chipotle Carnitas.
The complaint is that I want to throw my ingredients into the slow cooker, press start, place the lid on my slow cooker and forget about it for the next few hours.
That is in my opinion what the slow cooker is all about.
Or of course how tender it can make a fatty piece of pork shoulder is also a factor.
It is like magic!
But seriously???? How often do you browse a slow cooker recipe and it says take the food out and finish it in the oven or let’s make something in the pan and add it to the slow cooker.
It is annoying and takes away the purpose of the slow cooker and the art of dump and start recipes.
In our Slow Cooker Chipotle Carnitas today, I will be showing you that all you have to do is dump your favourite ingredients into the slow cooker and you will then have delicious Mexican Pulled Pork that you will want to binge on all the time.
Disclaimer: It takes excessive willpower to not eat the Slow Cooker Chipotle Carnitas over the slow cooker before they make their way to the dinner table. Maybe tell your husband the dog ate the carnitas?
Slow Cooker Chipotle Carnitas Ingredients
The best chipotle carnitas marinade will involve the delicious combination of honey and chipotle sauce. Add these two carnitas ingredients together and it is magic. It makes an amazing sticky marinade thanks to the honey and then you have the delicious barbecue flavour from the smokey chipotle sauce.
Add to the slow cooker your garlic puree and you have a match made in heaven.
These 3 ingredients that make up our slow cooker chipotle marinade are perfect for Mexican Pulled Pork Carnitas. But as well as this you can use this same marinade next time you have some chicken breasts, chicken thighs, chicken wings or any other pork or chicken.
The pork that we are using is a simple pork shoulder that I have bought from the supermarket. I get my pork shoulders when they are discounted that way it can make a delicious cheap family meal for you and your family.
Slow Cooker Chipotle Carnitas – Chipotle Copycat Recipe
Essentially our slow cooker chipotle carnitas is a chipotle copycat recipe. If you think of all those times you have had chipotle carnitas when you were out for dinner and want to recreate that delicious meal at home, then this is your chance. And it is oh so good!
I am a big fan of copycat recipes and it is wonderful to be able to recreate at home without the price tag of eating out.
How To Make Slow Cooker Chipotle Carnitas?
There really isn’t much to making slow cooker chipotle carnitas at home.
- The marinade ingredients are added first. This is because you can mix them in the bottom of your slow cooker and save yourself on washing up.
- Once the marinade ingredients are added prep your pork shoulder. Score the sides and top and bottom of the pork with a vegetable knife. This will help add flavour to your pork as it is being slow cooked. Then season the pork with salt and pepper.
- Toss the pork shoulder in the slow cooker and keep turning it until it is perfectly coated in your marinade.
- By this point your pork will be the colour of the marinade and will feel it is drowning in marinade.
Once this has been achieved (and this entire process takes less than 5 minutes) you can place your slow cooker on high for 5 hours or low for 8 hours. Because I work from home, I put my slow cooker on in early afternoon for supper, but if I worked in an office, I would put it on before work and leave it on low for the day.
More Slow Cooker Dump + Start Recipes
In the Milner house we LOVE slow cooker dump and start recipes. Here are a few more of our all time slow cooker dump favourites:
- Slow Cooker Doner Kebabs – The unhealthy doner kebab is getting a slow cooker make over. Just add in a few ingredients, forget washing up and warm up some pita breads.
- Slow Cooker Spicy Vegetable Rice – A big round of vegetable rice cooked in the slow cooker. Serve it on its own or with sides.
- Slow Cooker Vegetable Curry – A healthy curry cooked in the slow cooker. Everything is dumped in and then you just wait for it to cook.
- Slow Cooker Keema Curry – A delicious Indian curry that requires just 3 ingredients and you can just throw it all in the slow cooker.
Slow Cooker Chipotle Carnitas (chipotle copycat recipe)
- Place your honey and smokey chipotle sauce into the slow cooker along with the garlic puree.
- Mix the carnitas marinade well so that the sticky honey is mixed into the barbecue sauce.
- Score your pork shoulder with a vegetable knife so that the marinade will flavour the inside and not just the outside of the pork.
- Season your pork with salt and pepper.
- Smother your pork in the marinade that is already in the slow cooker, until it looks like the pork is drowning in sauce.
- Place the slow cooker on high for 5 hours.
- Shred with a meat claw and serve.
Can’t make it now? Then pin it for later!
Join The RecipeThis.com Community:
Plus, don’t forget to subscribe below to join our email newsletter with updates of our latest recipes, latest freebies, our cooking stories, plus much more: