Syn Free Slimming World Cheese & Onion Pasties cooked in the Air Fryer and Instant Pot. A super easy and lower calorie take on the classic war time pasty, featuring just 4 main ingredients.
If you read our blog yesterday you will know that we shared our favourite Syn Free Slimming World Cornish Pasties recipe. Well if you are thinking about Cornish Pasties then a plan B is always the vegetarian version aka cheese and onion pasties.
A true favourite of mine when I was growing up and so easy to make at home with your Instant Pot and Air Fryer. The beauty of having both these kitchen gadgets at home, is that you can prep the potatoes and onion in the Instant Pot and while they are steaming away, prepare the rest of your ingredients. It makes the cooking process so much quicker and easier.
In a true cheese and onion pasty there will be four main ingredients:
But what many people forget to mention is that the classic cheese that goes into a proper cheese and onion pasty is a mixture of cheshire and cheddar cheese. The crumbly cheese gives it that classic old school texture and gives it that unique flavour that those from the North East of England know so well.
Syn Free Slimming World Cheese & Onion Pasties
To make my Slimming World Cheese & Onion Pasties SYN FREE I have just used healthy extras in my cheese and onion pasties. You will look at the amount of Weight Watchers Wraps and the amount of cheese and think that its well over the allowance. Well it is…BUT there are lots of cheese and onion pasties here and it works out at a total of ½ of a HEA and ½ of a HEB per cheese & onion pasty.
Imagine having 2 of our Slimming World Cheese & Onion Pasties and it comes in at a SIMPLE HEA & HEB. Doesn’t that sound amazing???
Or try my trick and look for an alternative wraps brand that has much smaller wraps. That way you could even have 3 wraps for 1HEB.
These are the ones we found at an Aldi’s in Spain:
We put the nutrition info into Slimming World and each one worked out at 1/3 of a HEB. If you look at the picture of the packaging above, you can just see how much smaller it is from the classic wrap size and how enormous it makes the Weight Watchers Wraps look.
Or even better it slipped into our pasty maker and we didn’t have to cut it down as it was the perfect size:
Plus, we adore our pasty maker and we recommend that you get one for all your pastry addictions. We use ours for everything from pasties to calzone pizzas to sweet treats.#SynFree Slimming World Cheese & Onion #Pasties In The Air Fryer @recipe_thisClick To Tweet
- Peel and thinly dice the potatoes and onion and place it in the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker. Add a cup (250ml of water), place the lid on the Instant Pot, set the valve to sealing and cook for 8 minutes.
- While they’re steaming grate your cheese and slice your wraps in half.
- Manually release pressure.
- Drain the potatoes and onion and place back in the Instant Pot inner pot.
- Add the seasoning and the grated cheese to the Instant Pot and give it a good mix, work it well with a fork so that the soft potatoes will be like semi mash.
- Place ½ a wrap at a time into the pasty press and brush with egg. Add pasty filling to one side making sure you don’t over fill it.
- Press it down until it resembles a pasty shape.
- Brush with egg on the outside.
- Place in the air fryer and cook for 2 minutes on each side at 200c/400f.
- 10. Serve warm.
If you have leftover cheese and onion pasty filling, then add it to sandwich bags and freeze it for another time. It takes just 4 minutes in the air fryer for four cheese and onion pasties at once. Rinse and repeat until they are all cooked.
If you follow Slimming World and use the Weight Watchers wraps brand then it works out at 4HEA and 4HEB for the entire recipe. This is for 8 cheese and onion pasties making each one ½ HEA and ½ HEB. I found that they were very filling and couldn’t possibly eat more than two. Or follow my lead and get some smaller ones and that way you can have 3 for each HEA/B instead of 2.