Welcome to my Whole 30 Deconstructed Chicken & Mushroom Pie In The Instant Pot. Healthy chicken, mushrooms and vegetables topped with the most creamy pie sauce you have ever tried. A delicious healthy meal and perfect for during your Whole 30 days when you are out of brand new ideas.
I always get excited over a big delicious chicken pie. There is just something about a big pie. I would normally have a creamy chicken and vegetable version, it would have a creamy homemade sauce and served with a delicious shortcrust pie topping.
It would also take me quite a while to make it. I would partly cook the vegetables in the pan, the same for the chicken, separately make the sauce and then make the pastry. Before I knew it I would have spent an hour in the kitchen making a pie and then it would cook in the oven for ages afterwards.
Then you are forgetting all the sides you would have with it. There would be mash, more vegetables and gravy.
But what if you could make something as good as a homemade pie that was Whole 30 friendly and cook it in record time? Well that is exactly what we are talking about here and its all thanks to a great steamer and an energy efficient Instant Pot.
You place all the ingredients into the steamer basket and cook it in the Instant Pot. Then you separate ingredients, do a bit of blending and wow you have this truly amazing deconstructed chicken and mushroom pie.
This is also perfect for serving to your family for when you are on the Whole 30 and they are not. Though be warned when I serve dinner during the whole 30 I always get the same response:
Where’s The Cheese?
[clickToTweet tweet=”#Whole30 Deconstructed #Chicken & #Mushroom #Pie In The Instant Pot Recipe @recipe_this” quote=”#Whole30 Deconstructed #Chicken & #Mushroom #Pie In The Instant Pot Recipe @recipe_this”]
Whole 30 Deconstructed Chicken & Mushroom Pie In The Instant Pot
- Start by chopping up your cauliflower into florets and placing it into the steamer basket inside your Instant Pot. Pour over it 250ml of cold water, along with the mixed herbs and a little salt and pepper. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set to sealing and cook on the steam function for 14 minutes.
- While the cauliflower is cooking do the rest of the prep. Clean and dice the mushrooms, leeks and green beans. Peel and dice the onion. Bash the chicken with a rolling pin to make it thinner as then it will cook quicker.
- Manually release pressure and remove the cauliflower from the Instant Pot but leave the stock still in the Instant Pot.
- Put the cauliflower into the blender and leave for now.
- Apart from the seasoning and the coconut milk place everything else into the steamer basket and cook on the steam function for 20 minutes. When it beeps manually release pressure and portion up the plates with the chicken and vegetables.
- Sprinkle the tops of the chicken and vegetables with the rosemary and further salt and pepper.
- Back to your blender. Add to it all the leftover stock from the bottom of the Instant Pot. Add all seasonings, coconut milk and blend until smooth. You now have a really delicious creamy cauliflower sauce. For further deliciousness take a little bit of chicken off each plate, add to the blender and blitz again until smooth. This will give the sauce a much stronger delicious chicken stock flavour.
- Pour the sauce over the vegetables and serve.
Where To Source Your Chicken Breasts To Make Whole 30 Deconstructed Chicken & Mushroom Pie In The Instant Pot:
Whole 30 Day 6
I am on day 6 and I am about to embark on a weekend on the Whole 30. I should mention right now, that the weekend is usually my pig out time. As a food blogger I will eat healthy during the week and use the weekend to recipe test unhealthy recipes.
So a weekend without cookies, cheesecake and such like is beyond my brain. Yet here I am on my first Saturday going without anything sweet.
It is incredibly hard and with Dominic mentioning his lac of chocolate every 5 minutes makes it hard but I get through my Saturday!
What I ATE On Day SIX Of The Whole 30
As I make it through the day everything sweet is on my mind. I just want to eat the whole lot. I have no special requirements, I just want chocolate. And I just know that if I said to Dominic that I want to quit, he would head out and buy me a chocolate fix and have a chocolate binge with me. But I am going to behave myself!
Breakfast = Fruit Salad
Lunch = Chicken & Vegetable Tray Bake
Dinner = Deconstructed Chicken & Mushroom Pie
For breakfast and especially because of all the crazy sweet cravings I opt for a fruit salad. I can then get my fix through the likes of apples, oranges, bananas and avocado with a sprinkling of cinnamon.
For lunch we have another tray bake as they are just so good. You simply mix together your favourite vegetables with olive oil and seasoning, top with bone in chicken pieces and rub coconut oil into the chicken skin. It is truly amazing.
Then for dinner we have this deconstructed chicken and mushroom pie. I was waiting for all the comments about where is the pastry, but I actually didn’t get any and they all enjoyed it.
Introducing The Kitchen Deluxe Steamer Basket
Each day over the next 5 days we will be showcasing Kitchen Deluxe and their steamer basket and why it is so good for the Whole 30. Us and steamers have had a long journey after we got our first steamer in 2011. It just seemed like such a healthy way to eat lunch and before that we had always cooked our vegetables in a pan of boiling water.
And it wasn’t until we decided to get a steamer (because everyone else was getting them) that we realised how truly amazing they are. When you boil vegetables not only does it become soggy and look like baby sick but it completely takes away the flavour and really doesn’t have anything to offer it.
But you STEAM and all of a sudden that flavourless bowl of vegetables tastes like organic vegetables and they are not in a sicky pile on your plate.
Then you suddenly realise that vegetables taste really good and you want more and more of them. Plus if like me you’re on the Whole 30 it is a fantastic way to get excited about plant life.
You can do a fine job of steaming all kinds of vegetables, fish, meat and even use it for steaming your boiled eggs.
It’s a case of the possibilities being endless….
Here are 10 reasons to buy the Kitchen Deluxe Steamer Basket:
- Leave it in your Instant Pot when not in use
- Slots perfectly into the Instant Pot
- Comes with a free ebook
- Free Julienne Peeler
- Perfect for Whole 30 recipes
- Free safety hook
- Lifetime warranty
- Excellent customer service
- Small holes in the steamer basket for smaller pieces of vegetables
- Sturdy solid basket
Our verdict – Oh how I love to steam. I would steam all day long if I could and with a steamer basket like this I know it is going to last a long, long time. I can imagine that even when my Instant Pot finally gives up on live (as they never seem to have a long term life span) that my steamer will still be there and doing what it does best. I can then see it being transferred onto my next pressure cooker, being used in my soup maker or even used to serve food in.
If you want something that will last and will still offer you excellent value for money then you have found just the thing in this food steamer.
Its best feature…has to be the new and improved design. It has a sturdy solid centre loop rather than an unstable central ring making it perfect for getting your food in and out.
Overall – When I saw that the product had more than 800 five star reviews, I thought some might be fake as that goes on a lot on Amazon. But when you try it and see how easy it is to use, how the vegetables are compact but don’t suffocate you can see how all these 800 people are spot on.
It really does go the extra mile for you and is a truly amazing product.
Buy The Kitchen Deluxe Steamer Basket
If you would like to buy The Kitchen Deluxe Steamer Basket (the same one we have) or explore the rest of their range then you can do so by clicking on the banner below:
“Please use this Coupon code: RECIPTHS to get a fantastic 15% discount”
Now how about joining me in your own Whole 30? Join me in the whole 30 diet challenge and have 30 full days of delicious home cooked meals. Get better, get rid of the health problems associated with a bad diet and fall in love with food all over again.