Welcome to my Whole 30 Shepherds Pie Minis recipe. Delicious minced lamb with saluted carrots, lamb stock and best of all – loaded with coconut butter mash. Heaven on a plate cooked with the Instant Pot & finished off in the Airfryer for the dream Whole 30 meal.
I have to say that I love Shepherds Pie (or cottage pie if you are using minced beef instead). It is just so hearty and shouts of comfort food. It is thick and full of flavour and you have loads of mash on top and you end up feeling stuffed because of all the mash. Then serve it with a homemade gravy and wow you have a dream dinner.
Also if you’re missing your carbs during your Whole 30 round, having this filling mash dinner can really help you fill the gap.
The way we cook it, so that it is quick and perfect for lunch is to cook the mince and mash in the Instant Pot then portion it up into cute little ramekins and then give it that lovely restaurant style crust via the Airfryer.
It is like Grandmas cook for you. The old fashioned cooking that we could never ever say no to and that we wanted more and more of. My paternal grandma made a great shepherds pie and her mash was truly delicious.
It would never have a SINGLE lump in it. It would be creamy and you could tell that a lot of elbow action went into it. In those days the closest thing to a kitchen gadget would be a microwave and even the pressure cooker would be electric free.
[clickToTweet tweet=”#Whole30 #ShepherdsPie #Minis #Recipe @recipe_this” quote=”#Whole30 #ShepherdsPie #Minis #Recipe @recipe_this”]
Whole 30 Shepherds Pie Minis
- Place the potatoes (in their skins but diced) into the Instant Pot and cook for 15 minutes on the steam function. Make sure the potatoes are in the steamer basket and that you have added a cup of water to the bottom. Then of course set it to sealing so that it will go to pressure.
- While the potatoes and cooking peel and thinly dice the carrots and the onion.
- Remove the potatoes from the Instant Pot and place them in a mixing bowl that would be of a decent size for mashing your potatoes.
- Save the liquid from the bottom of the Instant Pot and put it to one side for using later.
- Place the carrots and onion in the Instant Pot with a tablespoon of olive oil and cook on the sauté setting for 3 minutes or until the onion has softened.
- Add the lamb and green beans to the mixture, mix well and continue to sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Add the lamb stock, the seasoning and bring to the boil.
- While it is coming to the boil make your mash. Add to the potatoes the coconut oil, 50ml of the potato stock, salt and pepper and a couple of tablespoons of the mince liquid to give it extra flavour.
- Stir a few times and transfer the mixture into the bottom of four ramekins. Use a big spoon with holes in to transfer the meat as then it will stop you having a huge amount of liquid in the bottom of the ramekins.
- Add the mash to the top. Cook the ramekins in the Airfryer for 5 minutes at 200c.
Whole 30 Day 23
I am back with my day 23 on the Whole 30. Its weird to say that in a weeks time it will be my last day on the Whole 30. The thought is now wondering how much I weigh and whether or not I lost any weight during my soon to be 30 days on the Whole 30.
It is also much hotter here now in Portugal and I know that more calories are burned exercising in the heat. So lets say I have a nervous excitement over what the outcome will be.
What I ATE On Day TWENTY THREE Of The Whole 30
Today has been one of those mad crazy days with loads of cleaning to do so the meals have been in a rush and not always planned out.
Breakfast = Boiled Eggs
Lunch = Mini Shepherds Pies
Dinner = Veggie Thai Curry
I am going through an eggs phase. So while my eggs were boiling (in the Instant Pot of course) I had a large banana.
Then lunch was mini shepherds pies in the Airfryer/Instant Pot. They were really easy to make and provided us with a great filling lunch.
Then for dinner we had some vegetable Thai curry as we had loads of vegetables leftover and I love the fact you can throw in some spices and coconut milk to stir fried vegetables and you have heaven on a plate.
Shepherds Pie Vs Cottage Pie
Last year I noticed a huge row on a food blog because an American food blogger had labelled Cottage Pie as a Shepherds Pie. Outside of the UK this can be a common error and in all honesty there is ONE very SIMPLE difference between the two and here goes:
Shepherds Pie is made from minced lamb & Cottage Pie is made from minced beef.
Simple as that! So choose whichever mince you like and cook it as either Cottage Pie or Shepherds Pie.
Now how about joining me in your own Whole 30? Join me in the whole 30 diet challenge and have 30 full days of delicious home cooked meals. Get better, get rid of the health problems associated with a bad diet and fall in love with food all over again.