Air Fryer Chicken Cordon Bleu. How to air fry chicken cordon bleu. Focusing on both a recipe for homemade chicken cordon bleu as well as frozen. Learn how to make the crispiest, yet moist cordon bleu in an air fryer with this simple recipe.
Our air fryer chicken cordon bleu was originally shared on Recipe This in January 2017. This is the updated version with more photos and the addition of frozen cordon bleu
Air Fryer Chicken Cordon Bleu
My true love for the air fryer is breaded chicken. Our first ever recipe we made in our first air fryer back in 2011 was air fryer frozen chicken strips and it has been an addiction ever since.
The air fryer does this amazing job of making breaded chicken taste like it has come out of the deep fat fryers at Kentucky Fried Chicken.
Yet it has generated the same amounts of calories as baked chicken.
But let’s face it, baked chicken will often be soggy and will often be missing the wow factor.
If you scrolled through the air fryer recipes at Recipe This, you would find many air fryer breaded chicken recipes.
But today it is all about air fryer chicken cordon bleu.
I will not lie; it was AMAZING sat in the Milner kitchen bingeing on just cooked air fryer cordon bleu.
There was not a crumb left when we were done. With comments about why we need to bread chicken more often!
What Is Cordon Bleu?
If you have not had a cordon bleu before then think of it as cheese and ham heaven. A chicken breast is almost butterflied and then a layer of chicken and ham as added to the centre. The chicken is then sealed, and a breadcrumb coating is added.
Can You Air Fry Chicken Cordon Bleu?
Absolutely. The air fryer is ideal for chicken cordon bleu. You are placing the cordon bleu in the air fryer basket like you do with oven baked, then watch how crispy the chicken gets once cooked.
There is also little mess in the air fryer basket as the breadcrumbs naturally stick to the chicken.
Can I Air Fry Frozen Chicken Cordon Bleu?
Yes. Frozen cordon bleu works well in the air fryer. That is because it makes it crispy like a deep fat fryer would.
But do note, frozen cordon bleu in the air fryer doesn’t taste anywhere near as good as fresh cordon bleu and its worth making the effort for the real thing.
Air Fryer Chicken Cordon Bleu Ingredients
The ingredients for air fryer cordon bleu, are simple everyday ingredients that you can source, without having to go grocery shopping.
- Chicken Breasts – Go with large chicken breasts that are thick, as these are much better for butterflying. Or if you are not comfortable butterflying chicken grab some chicken already butterflied and put together like a sandwich.
- Egg Bowl – Create a bowl with beaten eggs ready for your breading. You can in wet ingredients to your egg bowl to make it more flavoursome. I like to add garlic puree to this bowl.
- Flour Bowl – The next bowl in your production line is your flour bowl. I use plain flour and you can flavour it with salt and favourite dried seasonings. My favourite is to add tarragon and salt and pepper.
- Breadcrumbs Bowl – I have a bag in my freezer where I collect leftover bread for using as breadcrumbs in air fryer recipes. I load breadcrumbs in the bowl, and I have my production line complete.
- Cheese & Ham – The cheese and ham filling are what makes chicken cordon bleu have the wow factor. You can use any cheese that melts well and any of your favourite ham. I like to buy those cheap packs of cheese and ham combined.
Any air fryer will do a good job at air fryer cordon bleu, though we are using our Philips Air Fryer XL.
How To Air Fry Chicken Cordon Bleu?
The quick version of cooking cordon bleu in air fryer goes as follows:
- Butterfly chicken breast and fill with cheese and ham
- Load chicken into flour bowl, egg bowl and breadcrumbs bowl.
- Air fry + eat!
There is a little more to it than that, but those are the simple basics!
How To Air Fry Frozen Chicken Cordon Bleu?
But what about cooking frozen chicken cordon bleu in the air fryer? Well it is even easier:
- Place frozen cordon bleu in the air fryer and spray with extra virgin olive oil.
- Cook on medium, flip and cook again on the other side.
- Cook + Eat!
You can also use different brands of frozen cordon bleu, but do note you might need to adjust cook time if size and shape differs.
How Long To Air Fry Chicken Cordon Bleu?
Because you are cooking pork chops from frozen the cook time is a little more than you would expect of standard thawed pork chops.
How Long To Air Fry Frozen Chicken Cordon Bleu?
Air fryer time for frozen chicken cordon bleu is JUST 12 minutes. Start your frozen chicken cordon bleu at 180c for 8 minutes, then after you have flipped increase the temperature for the final 4 minutes.
Air Fryer Chicken Cordon Bleu
- Grab your chicken breasts and place on a bread board. Half an inch from the top of the breast make an incision with your knife. Then slice down your chicken breast to open it up. Then once opened it will resemble a butterfly.
- Add a slice each of cheese and ham inside of your chicken and make sure that it is tucked in.
- Create your production line with a bowl for eggs, a bowl for flour and a bowl for breadcrumbs. Add garlic puree to your egg bowl, mixed herbs to your breadcrumbs and tarragon to your flour. Season all three bowls with salt and pepper and stir.
- Add your chicken to your flour bowl, then your egg bowl and finally your breadcrumbs. Making sure each bowl has well coated your chicken.
- Load your chicken into the air fryer basket and cook for 10 minutes at 180c/360f. Turn with kitchen tongs and cook for a further 5 minutes at the same temperature. Load onto plates and serve with your preferred sides.
Can’t make it now? Then pin it for later!
Join The RecipeThis.com Community:
Plus, don’t forget to subscribe below to join our email newsletter with updates of our latest recipes, latest freebies, our cooking stories, plus much more: