Air Fryer Five Guys Cajun Fries. Perfect for Five Guys fans that love their food, want to recreate it at home, but also for people with nut allergies that want Five Guys Peanut Free Cajun Fries without the peanut oil.
This is our final instalment of our Air Fryer French Fries series. We have already shown you this month how to make skin on French Fries, Oil Free French Fries and of course today with the Air Fryer Five Guys Cajun Fries.
My daughter is exactly 3.5 years old today. I also have my grown-up son who will be 17 this summer and our baby son who will turn 2 this September. With my kids I love introducing them to new flavours and watching as their food habits change.
I love the fact that my daughter Sofia loves avocado and curries as much as I do, or that she wil
l be so fussy that a chocolate bribe will suddenly get her eating her lunch.
With Jorge being so young that he hasn’t experienced 2 years of life yet, means that he is always learning about new food. He loves his carbs. Give him spaghetti and he will try to eat it all at once. He loves potatoes and also bread doesn’t touch the sides either.
My eldest Kyle though, has had food allergies since he was a baby. He had both a gluten and a nut allergy throughout his childhood. He grew out of his gluten allergy but the nuts one stuck.
This means we always have to check for nut traces and some would always sneak through and he has scars on his arms from when he has itched his rashes. He doesn’t go into shock from nuts, but he does have flu like symptoms that can keep him off school for at least a week.
So, when we heard about five guys we were really excited to try out Five Guys Cajun Fries then we read that ALL of their menu is made using peanut oil and all of a sudden, the chances of going was forgotten about.
Plus, we then read online that one large portion of Five Guys Cajun Fries contain over 1300 calories, making it perfect for recreating as an air fryer recipe and lets just see how many calories we can drop thanks to our Philips Airfryer!
Air Fryer Five Guys Cajun Fries
When you look at the Five Guys Cajun fries, you will see that they are very easy to recreate at home.
- They are hand chopped without using frozen French Fries
- They are soaked in water first to remove the excess starch.
- They are cooked for a couple of minutes to get the outside crunchy and then at a lower temperature to cook the centre.
- They are rolled in a homemade Cajun blend to get that delicious Cajun fries experience.
The main things that we change with our Air Fryer Cajun Fries is:
- We use olive oil instead of peanut oil
- Because we’re air frying we use very little olive oil.
#1 Peel & Slice & Soak
The first stage is to first peel your potatoes and then slice them into chunky potatoes similar in size to ones you would receive at a steak restaurant. Then place them into a mixing bowl, cover with water and soak them in the fridge for 15 minutes.
#2 Drain & Season & Mix
I always sprinkle the different seasonings over the French Fries after draining them and then give it a good mix in the bowl with my hands. At this point also add the olive oil. Don’t be shy get your hands in there and give it a good mix!
#3 Cook & Serve
Finally, cook your Air Fryer French Fries the Five Guys way! Cooked at 2 different temperatures gives it an amazing texture and makes you feel like you have luxury French Fries.
Five Guys Fries Calories Vs Air Fryer Cajun French Fries
I love a good calorie compare, especially when I am showing off how much lower in calories an Air Fryer recipe is compared to the original.
When you go to Five Guys and order their famous Cajun Fries then you are talking 568g of Fries for 1300 calories.
Compare this to ours and we come in at 459 calories. This is 65% LESS calories. Or if it is a romantic portion for two then that is 229 calories per person.
[clickToTweet tweet=”#AirFryer Five Guys #Cajun #Fries (Copycat Recipe) @recipe_this” quote=”#AirFryer Five Guys #Cajun #Fries (Copycat Recipe) @recipe_this”]
Air Fryer Five Guys Cajun Fries (Copycat Recipe)
- Place your peeled potatoes into a medium sized bowl, cover it with cold water and soak in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes drain and remove all excess water as well as patting the potatoes dry.
- Season the potatoes thoroughly, also add the olive oil and mix with your hands until your French Fries are well coated.
- Place the French Fries in the Air Fryer and cook for 10 minutes at 160c/320f. Give it a shake and cook for a further 5 minutes at 200c/400f in order for them to become crispy.