Air Fryer Oven Chicken Drumsticks. Delicious fried chicken drumsticks cooked in the air fryer oven. Use your air fryer basket or air fryer oven for these crispy breaded chicken drumsticks that are worthy of a homemade fast food fakeaway menu.
Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks
I love air fryer chicken drumsticks, especially the way Dominic makes them for me. Being married to a chef, has it perks and the way he breads and perfectly cooks air fryer chicken drumsticks is the BEST.
What inspired me to share Dominic’s air fryer chicken drumsticks with you today was an Air Fryer Facebook group.
I was scrolling through and one of my air fryer friends had a photo of chicken drumsticks and chicken thighs he had cooked in the air fryer oven.
It was how many delicious chicken drumsticks he had fitted in his air fryer oven and it had me licking my lips thinking that we need to get the air fryer oven out and make a LOT of air fryer chicken drumsticks.
Plus, if you have not got an air fryer oven yet, the shelves are perfect for loading with breaded food and then cooking and crisping up to utter perfection.
So, on a cold December winters day, I asked Dominic to make his breaded chicken drumsticks in the air fryer oven.
I told him not to be shy and fill it to bursting, so that we could show our readers how much wonderful air fryer drumsticks you can fit in and just how crispy it is.
Can You Air Fry Breaded Food?
Firstly, you’re probably wondering how the air fryer cooks breaded food and what it is like, or if you can cook breaded food in the air fryer.
Well it is BETTER than you would think. It is like eating wonderfully crispy breaded chicken but without all the fat you associate with regular fried chicken.
I love the movie The Help and when the maid is teaching the character that can’t cook, how to make southern fried breaded chicken, my thought is always with all that fat in the pan.
Instead cooking breaded chicken drumsticks in the air fryer requires ZERO extra fat and the crunch on the coating is amazing.
Fried chicken in the air fryer doesn’t cause much mess either and doesn’t stick to the air fryer. A win win for us Milners!
Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks Breaded
Dominic’s Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks that I am cooking today is breaded. You can make your chicken drumsticks breaded or instead dunk it into your favourite marinade. The choice is yours!
Then just follow our air fryer chicken drumsticks recipe as your time, temp and recipe template.
Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks Panko
If you want to make your air fryer chicken drumsticks with panko, then you CAN. Living in Portugal means that panko is not a thing where we live.
Instead what is popular in Portugal is to buy bags of flavoured breadcrumbs from the supermarket bread section, or to use up old rustic Portuguese bread and make it into breadcrumbs.
Personally, I love to use up the spare bread. It has a good crust on it, just like sour dough bread and makes amazing breadcrumbs for chicken.
Chicken Drumsticks In Air Fryer Oven
As I am sure you have gathered from what you have read above, we have made our chicken drumsticks in the air fryer oven.
Though this homemade air fryer chicken drumsticks recipe including time and temps can easily be adapted to the air fryer basket.
In fact, it was in the Philips Air Fryer that we made our first breaded chicken drumsticks and we have used it the most.
What Ingredients & Gadgets Go Into Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks?
There are 5 main ingredients that go into air fryer chicken drumsticks:
- Chicken Drumsticks
I would recommend before making your air fryer chicken drumsticks that you have a good air fryer or air fryer oven.
That is because there are so many cheap brands of air fryers, that are just not very good and air fryers that are not non-stick.
Also, if you follow a gluten free diet you can use Paleo bread and make it into breadcrumbs.
Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks Cooking Time
The cooking time for air fryer chicken drumsticks is JUST 48 minutes. We cooked 15 chicken drumsticks at once and they were partly frozen.
We had grabbed our chicken drumsticks from the freezer the night before, but they had not completely thawed before cooking.
Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks Temperature
The best temperature for air fryer chicken drumsticks is 180c/360f. A medium temperature helps to cook the middle of your chicken drumsticks at the same time as crisping up the chicken skin.
Reheating Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks
What is wonderful about air fryer chicken drumsticks, is that you can use the air fryer to reheat them. You could also use this rule for leftover KFC too.
To reheat place your air fryer chicken drumsticks back in the air fryer. Spray with some extra virgin olive oil as it stops them from getting too dry and keeps them moist.
Then cook for 8 minutes at 120c/250f.
How To Use The Air Fryer For Chicken Drumsticks?
To make chicken drumsticks in the air fryer is EASY. Set up a bowl system, do some dunking and load into your air fryer like this:
- Create an egg bowl, a flour bowl and a breadcrumbs bowl and season well.
- Load your chicken drumsticks into the flour, then the eggs and finally into the breadcrumbs.
- Place in the air fryer and cook for 48 minutes at 180c/360f.
What To Serve With Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks?
Here at Recipe This we want to eat our chicken drumsticks like a homemade takeaway. We want to enjoy them just like we would at KFC or at a local chicken restaurant. Therefore, the serving suggestions below are takeaway themed.
- Air Fryer Fries – Air Fryer Fries are delicious and are perfect for serving with your air fryer drumsticks. Or a lazy alternative is our air fryer frozen French fries.
- Air Fryer Onion Rings – If you love southern fried chicken in the air fryer, then our healthy air fryer onion rings are the perfect pairing. Or try our air fryer frozen onion rings.
- Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets – We often have takeout and order some chicken nuggets to go with them. Here is how to use up your spare breading on some chicken nuggets.
- Air Fryer Frozen Corn On The Cob – Grab some of your favourite frozen corn and load it into the air fryer. Tastes delicious every time and a perfect side.
Air Fryer Oven Chicken Drumsticks
Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks Recipe Ingredients:
- 2 Large Eggs
- 2 Tsp Grainy Mustard
- 1 Tsp Garlic Puree
- Set up your bowls. Add the flour bowl ingredients into one bowl, add the egg ingredients into another and the breadcrumbs ingredients into a third. Mix the bowls well so that the eggs are beaten, and the seasonings are mixed well.
- Pat dry your chicken drumsticks and then load them into the flour, the egg and then the breadcrumbs. Making sure with each bowl the chicken is getting submerged and well coated.
- Carefully place your chicken drumsticks into your air fryer. If using the air fryer oven fill 2 shelves.
- Cook for 48 minutes at 180c/360f.
- If using the air fryer oven, swap the shelves halfway through cooking. If using the air fryer basket, you may need to reload with a second batch depending on your air fryer size.
- Serve with your favourite sides.
Can’t make it now? Then pin it for later!
Join The RecipeThis.com Community:
Plus, don’t forget to subscribe below to join our email newsletter with updates of our latest recipes, latest freebies, our cooking stories, plus much more: