Air Fryer Pie Crust. An easy beginner recipe showing you how to make the most delicious air fryer pie crust. Air Fryer Tutorial for both a savoury and a sweet pie crust for cooking in your air fryer or air fryer oven.
Our Air Fryer Pie Crust is an update from September 2016. We have updated it with new information and converted it for both sweet and savoury pie dough. We hope you enjoy our updated version.
Air Fryer Pie Crust
The inspiration behind sharing with you my air fryer pie crust today is my Grandma. She was an excellent baker.
Sadly, she died from asthma when I was 18, but I have many, many, memories of us baking together. She taught me how to make the most amazing pastry, buns, biscuits, cookies and cakes. They were absolutely delicious.
But growing up in England we would never have called it an air fryer pie crust, instead it would simply be known as shortcrust pastry. As that is the type of pastry that goes into an air fryer pie crust.
The great thing about having a basic air fryer pie crust, like the one I am showing you how to make today, is that they can be used for such a HUGE amount of different air fryer pie crust recipes.
You can save or print this air fryer pie crust and turn to it whenever you want that delicious pastry loaded treat.
Even better making your own pie crust is incredibly frugal. A while ago I did the maths and my air fryer pie crust worked out at:
- Flour = 0,07€
- Butter = 0,58€
- Total Cost = 0,65€
In American Dollars that is LESS than a dollar and oh so delicious. You then add in your favourite pie crust extras depending on if you’re making a sweet or savoury pie.
Just think about the maths next time you buy some shop bought pie crust.
Plus, it gives you a lot of new ways to use your air fryer.
Air Fryer And Baking Pies
Air Fryer is ideal for baking pies. In my opinion the air fryer does a better job at baking pies than a classic oven does.
That is because the air fryer is more like a grill and an oven in one and does an amazing job of making the top of your pie crust crispy.
You can use some egg wash on top of your pie crust, and you will have that lovely glowing pie.
Air Fryer Pie Pan
Of course, like with making pie in the oven you will need a pie pan. The most important thing to note here is that you can use ANY pie pan that is suitable for a traditional oven, just as long as it fits into the air fryer oven. Or if you are using a classic air fryer basket, then the air fryer basket.
These are the 3 pie pans that I use on a daily basis:
I have found that the perfect fit for my air fryer pie pan is 8 inches for an air fryer oven or 7 inches for an air fryer basket. If you go shopping for one, just remember to stick to these sizes.
Though I also love to have a pie pan that is a little smaller and easy to use in both gadgets and that I can also use in my Instant Pot Pressure Cooker.
Air Fryer Pie Dough
My air fryer pie dough is fantastic because it is the jack of all trades. You could keep it sweet for making air fryer apple pies or you could use it savoury for making homemade air fryer sausage rolls.
Even better our air fryer pie dough can be placed in a bowl and into a zip loc bag and be frozen for cooking with later.
When my dad came around for lunch recently, I defrosted some dough from the freezer and made him homemade sausage rolls. They were so quick and easy to make, and he was in food heaven.
Savoury Air Fryer Pie Crust
Starting with savoury air fryer pie crust this is the classic way to make pie crust and you can add in extra ingredients depending on what you want to use the pie crust for.
You start your savoury pie ingredients with the exact same as a sweet pie:
- 225g Plain Flour – It is important that it is plain flour and not self raising as you don’t want your pie to rise.
- 100g Butter – Butter at room temperature works best and you simply rub the fat of the butter into the flour.
Once the butter is rubbed into the flour, you have coarse breadcrumbs which is the base of any savoury pie crust.
From this you add cold water, a little at a time, until you have a lovely firm dough. The secret to perfect pie dough is to just add enough water and not to make it soggy, so that the water ONLY JUST combines the ingredients into a pie dough.
Here is our pie dough with our 3 year old sous chef Jorge:
For adds ons to increase the flavour for your savoury pie crust I like to add:
These 3 ingredients give recipes such as air fryer sausage rolls or a quiche the absolute wow factor.
Sweet Air Fryer Pie Crust
When making a sweet pastry the original savoury ingredients continue and it is only the add on ingredients that change.
You rub your fat into your flour, but with the added ingredient of white sugar. By adding 25g of sugar to the pie dough it gives it that wonderful sweet flavour.
For extra add ons you could also include:
- Vanilla Essence
Air Fryer Pie Crust Recipes
Here at Recipe This we love our pastry and it is incredible when cooked in the air fryer. That golden glow is amazing, and the pastry is just so crispy and yummy. You will certainly fight over the last piece of pie crust.
Here are some more air fryer pie crust recipes:
- Air Fryer Apple Pie
- Air Fryer Pumpkin Pie
- Air Fryer Sausage Rolls
- Air Fryer Cornish Pasties
- Air Fryer Jam Tarts
- Air Fryer Mince Pies
How To Make Air Fryer Pie Crust?
Making air fryer pie crust is a piece of cake!
- In a bowl add your flour and butter. If making sweet pie dough, then add your sugar too. Slice the butter into small cubes and rub the butter into the flour. Once it resembles coarse breadcrumbs you can stop mixing.
- Add in any extra add ons such as cinnamon for sweet or parsley for savoury.
- Add a little water at a time until you have a firm, quite dry dough. Just making sure you have enough water for it to make a dough that you could roll out.
- Roll out your pie dough and cut it out to the shape of your pie pan.
- Fill it with your favourite pie fillings and remember if adding a top layer to make sure that you use a knife to cut through to give the pie the chance to breathe.
- Cover the top of the pie with egg wash and let it cook in the air fryer or air fryer oven.
Job is DONE!
Air Fryer Pie Crust
- Using room temperature butter chop the butter into small chunks.
- Add to a mixing bowl your chopped butter and your flour.
- If making sweet pie crust add your sugar.
- Rub the butter into the flour until you have coarse breadcrumbs.
- Add in any extra ingredients that you require to enhance the flavour.
- Add a little water at a time until you have a firm, slightly dry pie crust dough.
- Sprinkle flour on your rolling pin and on your hands and roll out your pie crust until you have the size you need for your pie.
- Layer your pie dish over your rolled out pastry and then using a knife cut around the pie dish to get your desired shape.
- Gently place the pie dough over your pie pan and press down. Make nice edges if that is your thing and then load it with pie fillings.
Can’t make it now? Then pin it for later!
Join The RecipeThis.com Community:
Plus, don’t forget to subscribe below to join our email newsletter with updates of our latest recipes, latest freebies, our cooking stories, plus much more: