Air Fryer Pork Roast. How to cook pork roast in the air fryer. Including delicious crispy air fryer roasted sweet potatoes. Easy to meal prep and perfect for quick pork roast dinners.
Air Fryer Pork Roast
What many people don’t know about my husband Dominic, is that he used to work as a chef and his speciality was roast dinners.
Roast pork, roast lamb, roast chicken, roast duck, roast ham. You name the roast and he would serve it to customers every day and OMG his roast dinners will blow your mind.
As the double act behind Recipe This, we are the perfect partnership in the kitchen. I will cook the delicious sides and he will oversee the meat.
That applies when we are recipe testing new recipes for you, as well as when we are cooking for ourselves too.
I love it at Christmas when we join forces in the kitchen, have our workstations and have lots of fun as we work on our different foods.
There will of course be other foods but those are my favourites that I always think of at Christmas. We will also do a lot of make ahead cooking and most of our Christmas food would be cooked on Christmas Eve.
I thought it would be fun to share with you all our favourite roast dinners in the run up to Christmas and share a different one with you each day.
Plus, even though I always think of Thanksgiving and Christmas for family roast dinners, it could just be a nice Sunday dinner in your household!
Air Fry A Pork Roast
One of the wonderful things that an air fryer can cook is a pork roast. I always thought it would taste terrible, after all when you think of a pork shoulder you are more likely to associate it with pulled pork.
Plus, when you think of pulled pork you cook it slow just so that it is tender.
But cooked in the air fryer, pork roast can be incredibly tender, with a crispy crust and OMG taste like one of the best pork roasts that you have ever eaten.
When we sliced into our air fryer pork roast, we couldn’t believe just how good it tasted and we couldn’t wait to have another air fryer pork roast.
Air Fryer Boston Butt Vs Air Fryer Pork Shoulder Roast
You are also probably wondering what the difference is between an air fryer Boston butt and an air fryer pork shoulder roast.
Well they are one of the same. Boston Butt is the name more commonly used in the US to describe a pork shoulder cut of meat.
Whilst the rest of the world are more likely to call it an air fryer pork roast or an air fryer pork shoulder.
This used to puzzle me too until I got into pulled pork and researched some recipes.
Pork Roast In An Air Fryer
Firstly, it is all about the pork when you cook pork roast in an air fryer, you want:
- 2lb Pork Roast – This is the ideal size for fitting in your air fryer and if you work on metric this is approximately 1 kilo.
- Air Fryer Boneless Pork Roast – You want a cut of pork that is off the bone so that it will easily rotate in the air fryer oven and fix onto your rotisserie.
Pork Roast In The Air Fryer Oven
You’ve probably guessed by now, but we are cooking our pork roast in the air fryer oven. It produces the BEST air fryer pork roast results and OMG the taste is truly stunning.
Then I used my air fryer basket from my Philips Air Fryer XL for cooking the roasted sweet potatoes.
Though you could pick and choose how you cook yours. I am just saying for the best results rotate your pork roast in the air fryer oven via the rotisserie.
Air Fryer Pork Roast And Potatoes
If I am having an air fryer pork roast, then I want to turn it into air fryer pork roast and potatoes. That is because I want the real deal.
I want to enjoy my meat and potatoes together and feel like I am getting a meal rather than a slice of pork.
To make roasted sweet potatoes to go with my air fryer pork roast is simple.
- Peel your sweet potatoes and cut into roast potato shapes.
- In a bowl add your sweet potatoes, a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and a tablespoon of dried thyme. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix well and place in your air fryer basket.
- Cook for 15 minutes at 160c/360f, followed by a further 5 minutes at 200c/400f to get the roast potatoes nice and crispy.
Your air fryer sweet roast potatoes can be done while your pork roast cooks in your air fryer oven and that is what I like about having 2 air fryers.
How To Air Fry Pork Roast?
Cooking pork roast in the air fryer is so simple:
- Score Your Pork – Start by scoring your pork with typical scoring squares. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Add to rotisserie – The wonderful thing about pork shoulder is that a light seasoning of salt and pepper makes it magical and it doesn’t need over seasoning. Then you add it to your rotisserie and place it in the air fryer oven. It then rotates as it cooks.
- Roasted sweet potatoes – While your air fryer pork roast is rotating in your air fryer oven, make your roasted sweet potatoes. They are easy to prep, and you can time it so that your sweet potatoes are ready at the same time as your pork.
Air Fryer Frozen Pork Roast
I thought it would be interesting to experiment and cook air fryer frozen pork roast too.
What if we bought one of those pork tenderloins that has been rolled up with garlic butter and see how it did in the air fryer basket.
Well, it didn’t taste as bad as I thought it would!
This is how we cooked air fryer frozen pork roast:
- Load frozen pork into the air fryer basket.
- Cook for 30 minutes at 80c/180f.
- Follow up with a further 30 minutes at 160c/320f.
You can see that we have gone with low cooking temperatures. The first helps defrost the pork at the same time as starting to cook it.
The second round makes sure the pork doesn’t burn and is cooked through.
Air Fryer Pork Roast
- Score your pork roast with similar sized square slits. Season your pork with salt and pepper and load it onto the rotisserie. Place in your air fryer oven and cook for 1 hour at 180c/360f.
- While your pork roast is cooking, peel your sweet potatoes and chop into roasted sweet potato shapes. Season with thyme, salt and pepper. Add in extra virgin olive oil and in a bowl mix with your hands so that the olive oil is well coated on the sweet potatoes. Cook for 15 minutes at 160c/320f, shake and then cook for a further 5 minutes at 200c/400f.
- Slice your pork once it beeps and serve with your air fryer roasted sweet potatoes.
Can’t make it now? Then pin it for later!
Join The RecipeThis.com Community:
Plus, don’t forget to subscribe below to join our email newsletter with updates of our latest recipes, latest freebies, our cooking stories, plus much more: