Air Fryer Roast Duck. The most delicious air fryer whole duck recipe served with the best air fryer duck fat potatoes. The ideal roast duck dinner for two in the air fryer and so easy to prep and cook.
This air fryer whole duck recipe features a beautiful fresh whole duck, simple flavoursome seasonings as well as the most addictive air fryer duck fat potatoes that you have ever tried.
Because of the wonderful ingredients that make up our air fryer roast duck it is whole30 friendly and perfect for those that follow a clean eating diet plan.
Air Fryer Roast Duck
I am a HUGE, HUGE FAN of roast duck. In case you didn’t catch me shouting at you, let me say again that I worship roast duck and if there was one meat, I could eat every day for ever and ever it would be roast duck.
My love affair with roast duck started in the October of 1993 when I tried it for the first time on holiday in France.
My mum and dad had bought their first motorhome and we were travelling around France, Spain and Portugal. Since then I have had many wonderful duck experiences in many European countries.
Not to mention many trips to the Chinese restaurant when the start to the meal would not be the same without a delicious big helping of crispy duck and pancakes.
But back to that first roast duck. It was at a restaurant with views over a beautiful castle just outside of Normandy near the ferry ports that linked France with Southern England.
Many people came in for the roast duck and it was served like how I am showing you how to cook it today and that is with the most amazing duck fat potatoes.
But back then in 1993 when I was in my first year of high school, it was not a thing to have duck fat. Yet at Christmas time more duck fat is sold than any other fat in Britain to serve with your Christmas roast potatoes.
Today’s recipe for air fryer roast duck with air fryer duck fat potatoes is inspired by the beautiful small towns of France and their amazing food.
If you are bored of eating roast chicken in the air fryer, then I highly recommend you try out air fryer roast duck!
Can You Air Fry Duck?
Absolutely! As long as your air fryer is big enough to hold the duck, then you are all set to try the best ever air fryer roast meat experience.
If it is not, then I would recommend that instead of air frying a whole duck, that you start off (until you get a bigger air fryer) with air fryer duck breasts.
Why Cook Roast Duck In The Air Fryer?
Roast duck like when you cook roast turkey can be dry if you don’t know what you are doing. However, cook air fryer roast duck using a big air fryer or an air fryer oven and its fail safe.
All you do is season it, place it into your air fryer and then let the air fryer do its magic.
Add to this that the skin on meat cooked in the air fryer is spectacular and you will enjoy the best roast duck you have ever tried.
What Ingredients & Gadgets Go Into Air Fryer Roast Duck?
There are 4 main ingredients that go into air fryer roast duck:
As well as this we used the Power Air Fryer Oven and then used our rotisserie feature to cook our roast duck.
We then used our Philips Air Fryer XL for our air fryer duck fat potatoes so that they were ready at the same time.
Salt & Pepper is all the seasoning you need. Any chef will tell you that like when you cook air fryer steak, that you are ruining the meat by over seasoning it.
Instead just by seasoning with salt and pepper you will bring out the flavour of the duck and you will be impressed by how good it tastes.
Air Fryer Roast Duck Tips:
- Let it rest – While you finish your duck fat potatoes let your duck rest and then slice it. Duck is easier to carve and keeps its moisture if left for 5 minutes once removed from the air fryer.
- Fresh duck works best – Avoid frozen or semi frozen duck as it won’t taste as good as is likely to be drier.
- Don’t have 2 air fryers – If you don’t have 2 air fryers, then I recommend you do the duck fat potatoes while the duck is resting.
- Mix and match your ingredients – If you wanted to make a crispy Chinese style duck, then at the time of adding the salt and pepper add your Chinese marinade too.
Our air fryer roast duck is part of our roast dinner in the air fryer series. I recommend you check out our air fryer pork roast, air fryer roast lamb, air fryer roast ham and our air fryer roast beef.
How Long To Air Fry Duck?
Considering the size of a medium duck and that it is rotating inside of the air fryer oven, it only takes an hour to cook.
Ideally cook it for 45 minutes and grab your duck fat and then check to see how it is doing and then cook for another 15 minutes.
Your air fryer might be a different one, or you might have a different sized whole duck, so you might need to adjust cooking time.
Whole30 Air Fryer Roast Duck
I have done 3 rounds of the whole30 and followed Paleo and this air fryer duck is ideal.
You can have it just as it is for it to follow the rules of the whole30. I like that because during the whole30 you want food that really tastes good to make up for what you are missing.
If you want to make our air fryer whole duck Paleo friendly, then swap white potatoes for sweet potatoes and then you are all sorted!
How To Air Fry Duck?
Cooking a whole duck in the air fryer is so simple:
- Remove the duck from its packaging – season your duck with salt, pepper and extra virgin olive oil.
- Add to rotisserie – add the duck to your air fryer oven rotisserie and make sure it is securely attached. That way it won’t fall off during cooking.
- Make the potatoes – peel your potatoes, season them and wait until the 45th minute point of the duck so that you can open the air fryer oven and help yourself to the duck fat. Mix your potatoes with duck fat and then they are ready to be cooked in your other air fryer.
- Rest and slice – Allow the duck to rest for 5 minutes and then portion up your duck and roast potatoes.
More Air Fryer Dinner Recipes
Here at Recipe This we love to cook our favourite dinners in the air fryer. It is amazing what you can cook together in the air fryer to make a meal. Gone are the days when you just cook air fryer fries in the air fryer. Now we have choice!
- Air Fryer Pork Tenderloin + Potatoes
- Air Fryer Lamb Chops and Greek Potatoes
- Air Fryer Roast Chicken Dinner
- Air Fryer Taco Pie
- Air Fryer Sausage & Chips
We also have a lot more air fryer recipes for you to check out and find some new ideas for planning your meals.
As well as this we have our air fryer archives, which is full to bursting with all our air fryer recipes in one big PDF ebook. You can order it on this link or click on the banner below.
Air Fryer Roast Duck
- Remove your duck from the packaging and season it well with salt and pepper. Add a layer of extra virgin olive oil and rub it into all the visible skin on the duck.
- Place the whole duck on the rotisserie skewers and make sure it is secure before adding it to the air fryer oven.
- Set the temperature to 185c/365f and cook for 40 minutes.
- Prep the roast potatoes. Peel and dice your potatoes add in the thyme and salt and pepper.
- After 40 minutes remove the excess duck fat that has collected in the drip tray and put it to one side.
- Pour 2tbsp of the duck fat into the bowl of potatoes, toss and then add the potatoes to your other air fryer. Cook for 15 minutes at 160c/360f followed by a further 5 minutes at 200c/400f to crisp up.
- Then place the duck back on for a further 15 minutes at the same temperature.
- Let the duck rest once cooked for 5 minutes prior to serving with your duck fat roast potatoes.
Can’t make it now? Then pin it for later!
Join The RecipeThis.com Community:
Plus, don’t forget to subscribe below to join our email newsletter with updates of our latest recipes, latest freebies, our cooking stories, plus much more: