Air Fryer Chili Cheese Dogs. Chili dogs in an air fryer are amazing and so easy. Use the air fryer to make chili, heat the hotdogs and warm up your bread rolls as well as for melting your cheese on top. One of the best air fryer comfort foods.
Air Fryer Chili Cheese Dogs
Welcome to my Air fryer Chilli Cheese Dogs recipe. Updated for 2020 and one of those easy delicious comforting meals that you can make using an air fryer.
I was born in the 80’s and growing up in the 80’s and 90’s every meal was out of a can and heated up in a microwave.
When I was growing up there was only one way that you ever enjoyed hotdogs….and that was out of a can with some baked beans and tomato sauce.
They tasted good at the time and when you’re a kid, you really don’t know any better.
It wasn’t until I was about 12 years old that I heard of the chili cheese dog. I remember a movie at the time that I liked called “Don’t Tell Mom The Babysitter Is Dead”.
It was about an older teen that was left in charge of herself and her siblings after the mean babysitter passed away and she ended up going out and getting a job.
The job was in a fast food place and the food that was talked about the most was a chili cheese dog.
I had never heard of one until then and loved that it was a delicious looking hot dog with plenty of toppings and looked so tasty.
I never imagined back in 1994 that in 2020 I would be talking about how to make a chili cheese dog in the air fryer.
I mean how on earth did our parents raise us without air fryers, as they are so amazing.
Just like I am sure our parents thought the same of their parents without the microwave.
What Is A Chili Dog?
A chili dog is the generic name for a hotdog served in a hotdog bun and topped with delicious chilli mince, such as chilli con carne or Bolognese with chilli seasoning.
Often it also includes mustard, fried onions and melted cheese.
In many parts of the world the name varies but the main ingredients and the idea behind it often stay the same.
For example, in the United States they call it a Chili Dog, or in the UK it is a chilli dog. Spelling it slightly different to the rest of the world with one less l 🙂
Air Fryer Chili Dogs
The greatest thing about making air fryer chili dogs is that everything comes together thanks to the air fryer.
- Air Fryer Chili – If you have not made chili yet in the air fryer, or a Bolognese, then you must. Have a read of our how to cook ground beef in the air fryer guide and use it whenever you have some ground minced beef to cook. When I made air fryer chili dogs, I will cook the chili first.
- Air Fryer Hot Dog Buns – The air fryer is also fantastic for warming up cold hot dog buns. You can even heat up your hot dog buns from frozen.
- Air Fryer Hot Dogs – I love to cook hot dogs in the air fryer and its easy to warm up hot dogs at the same time as the hot dog buns so that you bring the meal together easily.
- Air Fryer Chili Cheese Dogs – I need a lot of cheese in my life and the air fryer is perfect for melting the cheese on top of your chili cheese dogs.
Here are my chili cheese dogs once the chili has been cooked, the hot dog buns have been loaded and I am licking my lips in anticipation for all that melted cheese.
Chili Cheese Dogs In Air Fryer
It is so EASY to make chili cheese dogs in the air fryer and this is how you do it:
- Load the air fryer basket with meat and tomatoes. Cook and stir in extras and cook a little longer. You now have delicious chili.
- Load frozen hot dog buns into the air fryer with hot dogs and your toppings.
- Air fry until the cheese melts and EAT.
Air Fryer Chili Cheese Dogs
- Load your ground beef into your air fryer baking pan, along with your tinned tomatoes.
- Set the temperature to 180c/360f and the time to 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, drain excess fat, add seasonings, add soft cheese, stir and cook for a final 4 minutes at the same temperature.
- Remove the baking pan and put to one side.
- Load frozen hot dog buns and hot dog sausages into the air fryer and cook for 5 minutes at 120c/250f.
- Load the chili on top of the hot dogs, add grated cheese and cook for a final 3 minutes at 180c/360f.
Can’t make it now? Then pin it for later!
Join The RecipeThis.com Community:
Plus, don’t forget to subscribe below to join our email newsletter with updates of our latest recipes, latest freebies, our cooking stories, plus much more: