Welcome to my Airfryer Chilli Cheese Dog recipe. A healthier version of the classic frugal sandwich with premiums sausages, homemade cheesy chilli and a sprinkling of salad. They’re served in our homemade hotdog rolls and are best for some summer party fun.
When I was growing up there was only one way that you ever enjoyed hotdogs….and that was out of a can with some baked beans and tomato sauce. They tasted good at the time and when you’re a kid, you really don’t know any better.
In fact they are like a heart attack waiting to happen. They have even been named by scientists and nutritionists as being worse for your health than smoking. Yet we wouldn’t allow our kids to smoke, yet many, many families feed their kids these hotdogs for dinner ever day.
Or if you don’t get them with the beans and tomato sauce, then the chances are, you have had them bought from the can in brine and then had them served into hot dog buns. You might even have had them with some mustard or some ketchup on top. Or the closest they have been to healthy would have been the onions that you had thrown on top.
Even worse – since researching for this Chilli Cheese Dog, I have even heard that the chilli comes out of a can too. I mean “hello” chilli is just so easy to make yourself and so economical too.
I am pleased to say that I have not touched cheap hotdogs for years. I am trying to think of the last time but can’t. But it must be at least 5 years ago.
Plus think of the costs for a big bowl of chilli mince vs the cost of one can and just think how many you can feed and how much you would have leftover for later.
But let’s face it, there is nothing that shouts out healthy. Everything says that you should avoid them like they are the plague and get them as far away from your kids as possible.
But we all love a chilli cheese dog, so how do we make the best ever Airfryer Chilli Cheese Dog and keep it fairly healthy for them at the same time?
Well what I do is use the best ever German sausages, they are Whole 30 friendly so you know that they are super healthy, along with homemade bread, homemade chilli and of course soft cheese. It gives you the complete wow factor and things are loaded up so high into your sandwich, that you will need to eat a bit with a fork because you can tackle it.
And OMG if you offered this to your kids when they come home from school, I doubt there will be a kid that would say that they would rather have a can option.
Plus if you want to win in the “team parents”, then the sauce made with the chilli cheese comes with loads of fresh and tinned tomatoes and I bet they wont even notice that it includes vegetables.
What Is A Chilli Dog?
A chilli dog is the generic name for a hotdog served in a hotdog bun and topped with delicious chilli mince, such as chilli con carne or bolognese with chilli seasoning. Often it also includes mustard, fried onions and melted cheese.
In many parts of the world the name varies but the main ingredients and the idea behind it often stay the same.
For example in the United States Of America they call it a Chili Dog, spelling it slightly different to the rest of the world with one less 🙂
There are also a few different varieties via different states of America including:
- New Jersey = Texas Wiener
- Michigan = Coney Island Hotdog
- Rhode Island = Hot Wiener
- New York = Michigan Hotdog
- North Carolina = Carolina Style
- Washington DC = Half Smoke
Hotdogs also originate from Germany and are often referred to as Wiener.
[clickToTweet tweet=”#Airfryer #Chilli #Cheese Dog #Recipe @recipe_this” quote=”#Airfryer #Chilli #Cheese Dog #Recipe @recipe_this”]
Airfryer Chilli Cheese Dog Recipe
Airfryer Chilli Cheese Dog
- Peel and dice your onion. Place half of it into your Airfryer along with the sausages on the grill pan and sprinkle them with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes on 180c/356f.
- While the sausages and onion are having a head start place the rest of the onion inside the Instant Pot. Cook them on the sauté setting with a little olive oil and the garlic and cook until the onions are golden.
- Add the mince to the Instant Pot and mix well and cook on the sauté setting for a further 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes give your sausages another 10 minutes at 180c/356f. At the same time dice your tomatoes, add all seasoning and give it a good mix. Cook for a further 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes add the tinned tomatoes, mix well and move to keep warm for 5 minutes as this will simmer the mince.
- Drain the mince to remove any excess moisture and mix it with the soft cheese.
- Place the sausages and onions over the hotdog buns, then the mince over it and then garnish it with more cheese and salad bits.
Airfryer Chilli Cheese Dog Recipe Podcast
We also have created a short version of the recipe into a Podcast. We have loaded it up onto our Itunes account and it is great for a quick download and then you can save it to your phone and then have it in your kitchen with you as you cook.