Welcome to my Airfryer Pumpkin French Toast recipe here at recipethis.com. A delicious sweet pumpkin loaded French Toast in the Airfryer. Perfect for autumn when you want a big dose of warm comfort food. Fast and easy to make and both kids and the grownups will love it.
I used to hate French toast when I was little. Or anything for that matter that had a big egg presence. I would eat the yolk from a boiled egg and I would love the eggs used to make cakes with, but that was about it.
I am adding in the cake thing though, because like most grownups my grandparents would say that you can’t say you don’t like eggs and eat our sponge cake! But surely sponge cake doesn’t count right?
My mum would always try to wean me onto them and come up with a nicer way to have eggs, but she never got that far with me and even to this day I still don’t enjoy the white of a fried egg and will leave it for Dominic or Sofia to eat.
My aunt always made the most amazing cheese quiches (in fact this is her recipe) and there would always be a lot of cheese and a good mixture of egg and milk into the quiche centre. This meant that it never really felt like you had a huge egg explosion and then when I tried quiches away from hers, I never quite liked them.
When I was growing up though French Toast would always be called eggy bread as that was the British name for it, or my Grandma would call it Gypsy bread as that was the Irish name for it and she was Irish born.
I hated it though as it would literally be cheap white sliced bread, drowned in beaten egg and then cooked in the frying pan with loads of butter. There was no flavour to it and it was horrible.
But it is amazing how much our taste buds can change over the years. I like egg more than I did then but I don’t love it either.
I also love coloured peppers now but hated them as a kid, plus as a kid I loved mushrooms but can’t stand to even look at them now!
But if someone had presented me with Pumpkin French Toast in the Airfryer then I would have been sold on the fact. The idea that you have a delicious pumpkin flavour rather than feeling like your life has been taken over by eggs. Now that is my dream French toast that is for sure!
Yet the eggs still make the pumpkin French toast taste amazing and give it that delicious outside crust on the bread.
To make the pumpkin French toast you start by mixing together the pumpkin puree, milk and eggs. Then toss the sliced bread in the delicious French toast mixture and then after removing excess liquid, you cook it in the grill pan in your Airfryer.
It really is as simple as that to make Pumpkin French Toast.
My eldest son is also like me and is not that keen on eggs. I still haven’t managed to get him to eat boiled eggs, fried eggs or poached eggs. But he does love quiche, baked goods and my French toast. So if you do have someone that is not that keen on eggs then this is your plan B.
I would also add that it works out at less calories in the Airfryer, just because you are not needing butter or oil to cook it with. You simply lay the pumpkin French toast (uncrowded of course) into your Airfryer grill pan and then let the Airfryer do the work for you.
Plus if you have some leftover pumpkin puree that you want to use up and want something quick for breakfast then this is absolutely perfect for that.
So never mind talking about it, as I am getting super hungry at the thought, let’s just make a big batch of Pumpkin French Toast!!!
Airfryer Pumpkin French Toast
- Chop up your fresh pumpkin into small cubes and place them into a mixing bowl. Mix them with the honey and nutmeg until the pumpkin pieces are well coated.
- Place the pumpkin cubes into the Airfryer and cook for 8 minutes at 180c/360f.
- In the same mixing bowl add the milk and the egg and mix well with a fork until the egg is well beaten. Add to it the pumpkin pie filling and give it a good mix.
- Remove the pumpkin from the Airfryer and put to one side.
- Soak the sliced bread in the French toast batter until it feels like it has drowned in it and then remove any excess moisture and place it in the Airfryer via the grill pan.
- Cook for 4 minutes on one side at 200c/400f and then turn over with some tongs.
- Once turned over add the pumpkin from earlier and cook for a further 4 minutes at the same temperature.
- Drizzle with extra pumpkin juices and a little honey and then serve.