Air Fryer Patatas Bravas. Easy to prep and loaded with Spanish flavours, patatas bravas is an essential quick potato recipe for the air fryer.
Our Air Fryer Patatas Bravas recipe was originally published in the summer of 2016 and is one of those yummy Mediterranean comfort sides. I decided to update it with some extra photos and more info for you.
Air Fryer Patatas Bravas
This is what I wrote about patatas bravas back in the summer of 2016:
Well I promised to recreate the lovely Spanish dishes that I tried in Spain and this is the first of them.
I don’t know about you, but I fell in love with Spanish tapas at first sight. It always feels like you are entering a sweet shop for adults when you experience tapas.
You enter the bar and get to choose whatever you want to have a small portion of from the tapas bar. You’ll see at least 6 different options and you start licking your lips in anticipation for what you’re about to eat.
Plus, you can be greedy and choose more than one item as they are so cheap, and they are only very small dishes.
Well when we were in Spain earlier this summer, we visited about 8 different tapas bars and I must have had a this dish at every single one of them because I love it so much. Patatas Bravas as they call it in Spain is simply potatoes in a spicy tomato sauce and it is absolutely delicious.
Plus, for recreating it at home you couldn’t do any better. It is frugal and it is quick oh and it is not that high calorie either.
We made it in well under 30 minutes and this is our take on it.
This is what I have to say about Patatas Bravas now:
Air Fryer Patatas Bravas is an underrated dish for cooking in your air fryer. When we think air fryer potatoes, we are always thinking about air fryer fries, air fryer potato wedges or air fryer potato chips, yet patatas bravas is equally special.
It very much reminds me of Mexican food, and you could just as easily cook air fryer potato wedges serve it with a Mexican salsa and still have a delicious appetizer via the air fryer.
Back then when we first shared our patatas bravas in the air fryer our daughter was toddling around the swimming pool, Jorge was growing in my tummy making my summer a hotter one and Kyle was moaning that teenage life was even tougher when it was too hot to play football.
Fast forward a couple of years and a bit and Kyle is still as grumpy, Sofia is getting ready to start school for the first time and Jorge loves nothing more than eating his mums air fryer potatoes.
Air Fryer Patatas Bravas Ingredients
I always think of patatas bravas as making potato wedges and serving it with a spicy dipping sauce. It is very similar and you’re just adding to the cooking process the extra seasoning that makes patatas bravas so well loved.
The main ingredients for making air fryer patatas bravas is:
- Spicy Sauce
- Dry Rub
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
If you’re based outside of Europe, you can also cheat by using Mexican salsa.
Air Fryer Bravas Sauce
When I make my patatas bravas sauce I will mix the ingredients first in a bowl and then leave it in the fridge. Then I can load it up over the potatoes once they have been cooked.
To make your own homemade bravas it is this easy:
- 100 ml Homemade Tomato Sauce
- 1 Tomato thinly diced
- 1 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 1 Tsp Chilli Powder
- 2 Tsp Coriander
- 2 Tsp Thyme
- 1 Tsp Mixed Spice
- 1 Tsp Oregano
- 1 Tsp Rosemary
Or instead sub the tomato and homemade tinned tomatoes for a can of tinned tomatoes.
Or for a quicker cheat version you would use 240ml (1 cup) of salsa and then you only need to add the following to your salsa:
- Coriander (also known as cilantro)
- Mixed Spice
You can of course use a jar of bravas sauce if you can get hold of it. I know I can only get it if we head across the border to Spain.
How To Air Fry Patatas Bravas?
To make air fryer patatas bravas is very simple and is split into a few simple steps:
- Peel and slice the potatoes – You want to slice into shapes similar to if you were cooking our air fryer potato wedges.
- Bowl Them – Add the potatoes as well as the dry rub for the potatoes to a bowl along with the extra virgin olive oil. Mix with your hands until there is a red colouring to the potatoes from the paprika.
- Cook & Sauce – While the patatas is cooking in the air fryer, create your bravas. Then once the air fryer has beeped you can load your patatas with its bravas.
More Air Fryer Potato Recipes
In the Milner house we LOVE our air fryer potatoes. Here are a few more:
- Air Fryer Potato Wedges – Recently updated and our first ever air fryer recipe, we love to eat potato wedges in the air fryer. If you don’t want the spice of patatas bravas this is your plan B.
- Air Fryer Breakfast Potatoes – Perfect for a make ahead breakfast in the air fryer and it can be left in the fridge overnight ready for the morning.
- Air Fryer Rosemary Roast Potatoes – A favourite of mine and you can easily swap the rosemary for another preferred seasoning.
Air Fryer Spanish Spicy Potatoes
- Chop your potatoes into wedges and place them into a bowl along with your extra virgin olive oil and dried seasonings. Mix well in a bowl and place them into the air fryer.
- Cook in the air fryer for 20 minutes at 160c/320f.
- Shake and cook for a further 3 minutes at 200c/400f.
- While the potatoes are cooking in the air fryer, mix together your spicy bravas sauce ingredients.
- Serve the bravas over your patatas once it beeps.
Can’t make it now? Then pin it for later!
Join The RecipeThis.com Community:
Plus, don’t forget to subscribe below to join our email newsletter with updates of our latest recipes, latest freebies, our cooking stories, plus much more: