Welcome to my simply the best Air fried chicken schnitzel recipe. Taking you on a foodie travel journey to Germany we have delicious chicken schnitzel.
Enjoy an authentic chicken experience with a healthy take of the traditional deep fried classic.
Whenever I see chicken breast at the supermarket I always get excited. That is because chicken is just so versatile and I can think of loads of different favourite recipes I can make with it.
I can make a stir fry, I can cook it in a coconut sauce, I can make a curry, I can serve it in coconut oil with garlic potatoes, I can make chicken fajitas, I can make chicken noodle soup, I can make a chicken pie.
The truth is the ideas are endless.
But one thing that I am super addicted to doing with my chicken breast is breading it. My favourite fast food is KFC and the fact that I can use my Airfryer to make delicious breaded chicken instead of battered, means that I can enjoy healthier versions of the old classics.
In fact by breading it like in this Chicken Schnitzel recipe you can be looking at reducing the calories by up to 70%.
Whenever I bread my chicken (which is never as often as I would like) I will often use this method in this recipe where I use gluten free oats and then it makes it completely Whole 30 and Paleo and perfect for the health conscious cook.
SO I always feel especially cheerful and excited that you can make something so healthy and in your head you’re thinking that you’re eating out at KFC when you are not.
When I was doing my usual research when recipe testing this delicious Chicken Schnitzel I was rather shocked by how many different versions there are around the world of this classic.
A classic that is most famous for Germany but many other countries in Europe have as a dinner staple. Some versions use spicy flavourings and some don’t even bread it.
But this is my version, just like how we have it here in Portugal but with a more German feel.
So if you ever fancy putting some Chicken Schnitzel into your Airfryer and giving your kids an amazing dinner, then here is your chance!
What Is Chicken Schnitzel?
A schnitzel is basically the German word for meat and is usually the type of meat also known around the world as scalloped.
The meat is often flattened out with a meat tenderiser, coated in bread crumbs and beaten egg. It is fried or baked and even though chicken is the most popular meat it is also popular with veal, beef, turkey or pork.
Here in Portugal though we have what is known locally as “panado de frango” and it is served in restaurants and cafes with salad and rice.
It is absolutely delicious and because the chicken is pounded flat it can make an incredibly frugal dish.
Simply The Best Air Fried Chicken Schnitzel
- Place your chicken breasts onto a clean chopping board. Then following either of the methods below (see the notes section) flatten out your chicken so that you have 4 flat pieces of chicken breast.
- Seasoning from above with salt and pepper on both sides so that the chicken is well seasoned.
- Beat 2 eggs with a fork and place them in a small mixing bowl.
- In your blender place the gluten free oats, another round of salt and pepper, mustard and the fresh parsley. Blend until it is like coarse breadcrumbs.
- Place the blender contents into a second dish.
- Roll the chicken in the oats, then the egg and then back in the oats.
- Place them in your grill pan inside of your Airfryer and cook for 12 minutes at 180c (350F). Turn half way through with some tongs and then serve with some warm potatoes.
2) Place the oats into the freezer in a sandwich bag. After an hour remove them, bash the bag with a rolling pin (like you would to make chocolate chips) and then they will have the texture of breadcrumbs. To flatten out the chicken to make the chicken schnitzel there are 2 methods and both are easy to do. You could a) get a really fat chicken breast and slice them length ways using the butterfly method. This works well because you completely stretch it out and slice and it saves using a rolling pin or tenderiser. b) You place the chicken breasts on the chopping board and give them a good bashing until they are a lot flatter and then slice them in half so that they then make smaller pieces of meat. When I salt and pepper my food I use sea salt and always use about ½ a teaspoon of each in all recipes. BUT we all like different amounts so season it to your own preferences. I always serve mine with my favourite garlic potatoes and you can cook them in the Airfryer at the same time. I also found that using the Airfryer grill pan is brilliant for this recipe as it is like you have professionally grilled the chicken schnitzel. When I am using fresh parsley I just give it a quick wash and then throw it into the blender. It blends very well and is a real time saver. We have found the best place to source chicken breasts to make Simply The Best Air Fried Chicken Schnitzel is from ButcherBox. You even receive free bacon and $10 off your first order when you sign up with this link.
Where To Source Your Chicken Breasts To Air Fried Chicken Schnitzel:
Gluten Free Schnitzel
I never set out to make this Chicken Schnitzel into a gluten free Schnitzel it just kind of happened. I am often following the Paleo/Whole 30 way of life and as I am on a diet, I find that whenever I eat carbs I gain weight. So I find the best way to enjoy breaded food is to use gluten free oats instead. They turn out like coarse breadcrumbs and you really can’t tell the difference.
This means it very much becomes a life changer, because if you use this gluten free schnitzel coating you can use it to make KFC, chicken kievs and a whole range of favourite breaded meals. Trust me, once you have breaded your food like this there is only ever going to be the schnitzel way!
How Many Calories In A Chicken Schnitzel?
For a hearty chicken meal that is air fried instead of deep fried it works out at just over 400 calories per person, which in my opinion is just PERFECT for the main meal of the day for something that is fairly low in calories, but tastes as good as something that is deep fried.
This has to be one of those life changing Airfryer moments.