Welcome to my copycat KFC popcorn chicken in the Airfryer.
I must admit that I was not always a KFC fan. Okay so that is an understatement. As a fussy teenager I absolutely hated the menu at KFC and would avoid it at all costs.
I remember we always ended up at KFC when we had been travelling down the motorway and needed a food stop. At the time I was a vegetarian so KFC was not exactly a good place to be.
Back then in the early to mid 90’s there was a serious lack of food on the menu and everyone that went there did so for the buckets of chicken pieces and chips. They might have some beans with them but that was about it.
There was nothing delicious at the time such as KFC popcorn chicken and I used to hate going there. But the good thing about these motorway service stops is that there would be at least four places to choose from.
So I would get some money from my dad and go to the café across the way and get some cauliflower cheese then I would have it with some chips from KFC along with some coleslaw and I would be happy.
Though, even back in 2009 while we were out with my parents for lunch I stayed clear. They had the huge buckets and we were next door at McDonalds and watched them eat their huge portions.
But then Dominic pointed out my problem. I just hated chicken on the bone and had never really liked it from when I started eating meat again. Very soon he had me hooked via the boneless chicken options and the tasty chicken burgers.
This recipe is dedicated to the first time that I had popcorn chicken and how much I loved it. I also dedicate this to anyone that just loves the simple pieces of boneless chicken with a little spice to it.
Sadly they have been replaced in Portugal with something called chicken rocks and I need to put an SOS call out for the popcorn chicken to go back on the menu.
This one of course is done in the Airfryer and not deep fried.
More Potato Recipes In The Air Fryer
- Airfryer Onion Rings
- Airfryer Calamari Rings
- Airfryer Chicken Nuggets
- Airfryer Chicken Wings
- Spicy Sweet Potato Wedges
- Turkey Goujons
- Mini Brazilian Turkey Pies
- Airfryer Veggie Bake Cakes
- Turkey Spring Rolls
- Sloppy Joe Stuffed Scones
- Five Cheese Pull Apart Bread
- Homemade Sausage Rolls
- Airfryer Pizza Hut Bread Sticks
- KFC Chicken Strips
- Airfryer Mini Cheese Scones
- Homemade Garlic Bread
- Airfryer Roast Potatoes
- Airfryer Garlic Potatoes
- Airfryer Chicken Wrapped In Bacon
- Airfryer Pigs In Blankets
- Sage & Onion Stuffing Balls
- Airfryer Stuffed Garlic Mushrooms
- Airfryer Croutons
- Airfryer Courgette Fritters
Copycat KFC Popcorn Chicken In The Airfryer
- In the food processor blend your chicken until it resembles minced chicken.
- Set up a factory line with a bowl with your flour and a second bowl with your beaten egg. In a third bowl mix together your KFC spice blend, your salt and pepper and then your bread crumbs.
- Then like a factory line up make your minced chicken into balls and roll in the flour, the egg and then the spiced bread crumbs.
- Place in the airfryer at 180c for 10-12 minutes or until cooked in the middle.