Crispy Air Fryer Potato Wedges is a must have air fryer potato recipe. Our air fryer potato wedges only take a couple of minutes to prep, taste amazing and are perfect for lazy comfort food suppers.
Our Air Fryer Potato Wedges was the first ever recipe we published on RecipeThis.com back in the November of 2015. It is also in the top 10 of our most cooked recipes at home in the air fryer. We thought it was about time we updated it for you and added extra info.
Air Fryer Potato Wedges
Here is what I had to say about air fryer potato wedges back on the 3rd of November 2015:
“Welcome to my first recipe on Recipe This. I must admit I gave it some thought over what would be the first and then decided it had to be something easy to make, quick and that the entire family adore.
Enter my Air Fryer potato wedges……
The first time I ever tried potato wedges I was about 10 years old. My mum had taken me out for lunch at Pizza Hut and I must admit to being rather grumpy and wishing that they served chips (French Fries to Americans).
Instead we had potato wedges. I was the fussy child that always moaned and the thought of skin on my chips seemed too wrong.
But I tried them and fell in love with them there and then. They tasted so crispy, had loads of spice on them and made a fantastic side for my pizza.
Here in Portugal they don’t serve potato wedges at Pizza Hut and I must admit it’s the first thing I think about when I think of favourite sides when we are out for pizza.
Nowadays, when we have potato wedges it will be at home as part of a Mexican food night.
We will have potato wedges, chicken fajitas, salad and some spicy cauliflower rice. It is always delicious and there is never any left!
For my potato wedges I have hated the fact that with us not having a grill, that they don’t end up as crispy as I would like in the oven so when I got my Air Fryer it seemed the perfect way to make them. That way they can be crispy and be super quick to make.”
Now back to 2019:
Well even now 3 and a bit years later, I still adore Air Fryer Potato Wedges. You see when we are tired and want something quick to cook, I can slice them, season them and throw them in the air fryer. It is PERFECT.
I would say out of everything we cook in the air fryer; it is in our top 5 of the most cooked air fryer foods.
The only difference between now with our air fryer and back then in 2015 is that my little darlings love to mix it all up and proudly pour the potatoes into the air fryer for me.
Air Fryer KFC Potato Wedges
As mentioned above, our Air Fryer potato wedges came about because I wanted to eat delicious Air Fryer Pizza Hut Potato Wedges at home. My version of homemade potato wedges is loosely based on trips to KFC and Pizza Hut.
Quite often when you are trying to create a copycat recipe you don’t have access to the exact seasonings that are used in the original and that is the only difference that I am talking about here between my homemade Air Fryer potato wedges and those you would expect at a fast food establishment.
For my version I am using the seasonings that are readily available to me:
You could do the same. For example, if you don’t have access to bouquet garni any mixed herbs blend and of course any Mexican seasoning you have. You could also use taco seasoning if you wanted to!
The other ingredients are white potatoes and extra virgin olive oil. Most of us will have these in our pantry or can easily use substitutes without the need for a grocery shop.
Air Fryer Homemade Potato Wedges
You can of course cook Air Fryer Frozen Sweet Potato Wedges, which of course we do have on the blog, but many of us love to make air fryer homemade potato wedges, like we are showing you how to do today.
Making homemade potato wedges is so simple. Once you have sliced your potatoes into potato wedges shapes, it is a toss of the seasonings and extra virgin olive oil and they cook in the air fryer.
It is only a couple of minutes prep for delicious homemade potato wedges compared to buying frozen potato wedges.
Plus, I find with frozen potato wedges they can be rather expensive.
How To Air Fry Potato Wedges?
The most important thing with making potato wedges also applies if you were to cook them in the oven or in a deep fat fryer. That is to make sure the potatoes you’re using have good skin on them.
You’re eating the skin of the potatoes and adding your dried rub to the potato skin and you want a taste sensation.
If I plan on having air fryer potato wedges, I will always use just bought potatoes rather than ones that have been sat about for a while. Now those are reserved for our air fryer fries instead.
The process of cooking air fryer potato wedges is simple:
- Slice your potato wedges and give the potatoes a rinse under the tap so that they are nice and clean. Then place them into a mixing bowl.
- Add your dry rub and olive oil to the bowl and then don’t be shy get your hands in there and toss your dry rub in your potatoes. The olive oil works as a sticky agent that sticks the dry rub to the potatoes so that the potato wedges are well seasoned.
- Cook in the air fryer until you have crispy delicious air fryer potato wedges.
It only takes a minute or two for the prep to be done and then you can cook your main meal in the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker and then you have a delicious dinner on the table.
More Air Fryer Potato Wedges
In the Milner house we LOVE skin on potato wedges and these crispy air fryer potato wedges may have been our first, but there has been many since.
- Air Fryer Frozen Sweet Potato Wedges – Delicious sweet potatoes cooked from frozen in the air fryer. Super-fast to make and so delicious.
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Wedges – With a little spice these sweet potato wedges are perfect for finger food, barbecues, suppers, side dishes and girly nights in.
- Air Fryer Skin On Fries – My lazy way to eat French fries in the air fryer. Cooked with the skin on and are like a mix between air fryer French fries and air fryer potato wedges.
Crispy Air Fryer Potato Wedges
- Slice the potatoes into wedges and give the potatoes a quick wash.
- Add the potatoes to a bowl along with your dry seasonings and your olive oil.
- Toss with your hands so that the potato wedges are well coated in the olive oil and the seasonings.
- Place the potato wedges into the air fryer basket and cook for 24 minutes at 160c/320f.
- Shake and cook for a further 3 minutes at 200c/400f.
Can’t make it now? Then pin it for later!
Join The RecipeThis.com Community:
Plus, don’t forget to subscribe below to join our email newsletter with updates of our latest recipes, latest freebies, our cooking stories, plus much more: