I am a huge fan of Monday Pie. A pie reserved for leftovers of Sundays roast dinner or pot roast that are thrown in the oven together for a quick no fuss Monday meal for FREE.
Monday Pie is a famous leftover roast beef pie in the United Kingdom that many families enjoy so that they can save money.
The idea behind Monday Pie is that you use up everything that you have left over from your Sunday roast dinner the day before, fill it out with fillers such as extra potato or beans and then serve it up as a delicious leftover meal.
For many families though (myself included) its not necessarily about the saving money element, even though that is of course nice!
Its about the fact that you can prepare a delicious evening meal the night before, in the middle of doing your washing up.
Then the next day you simply grab your Monday Pie from the fridge, place it in the oven and you have dinner on the table.
Of course, Monday Pie is whatever you want it to be. You could use up leftover roast turkey, roast pork, roast beef, roast duck, roast chicken or even leftover mince. Though I don’t see many leftover duck or chicken recipes as there is rarely any left!
It is also an excellent way to use up your side dishes that you made the day before for Sunday dinner. Or Monday Pie might be your plan in advance and you could do 30% more vegetables and potatoes than you would normally do and throw them in too.
In our Monday Pie we are going with the exact items that we have leftover from our roast pork dinner from the day before. The only items we are adding to it is extra salt and pepper and a tiny bit of milk.
EVERYTHING else is from our roast dinner and shows that you can be rather savvy when making your Monday Pie.
For our Sunday dinner the day before we enjoyed:
- Pork Roast
- Yorkshire Puddings
- Mashed Potato
- Pork Gravy
We had quite a bit of potatoes left, a decent amount of pork, but the rest of it was small portions. But when combined together made a big Monday Pie.
Just think about the roast dinner you have it home and how you could bulk it up and what you could include in your own Monday Pie.
My mum always said to me that “my world is my oyster” well your Monday Pie is your oyster. Think outside the box of what you have leftover and what extra cheap sides you can add to your roast dinner to make your Monday pie super successful.
I would say that once served up it does bare a striking resemblance for Shepherds Pie so maybe we should call it Leftover Shepherds Pie?Easy Monday Pie Recipe (Leftover Roast Pie) @recipe_this
Easy Monday Pie Recipe (Leftover Roast Pie)
- 100 g Leftover Roast Dinner
- 100 g Leftover Mashed Potatoes
- 100 ml Leftover Gravy
- 30 ml Skimmed Milk
- Salt & Pepper
- Place all your leftover ingredients apart from the gravy and the mashed potatoes into a large bowl.
- Using your hands break everything apart so that you have a good pie filling. If you have meat break it up with your hands so that it is like pulled pork. Tear up any roasties and Yorkshire Puddings into bite sized shapes.
- Mix the leftovers well so that each person would get an equal share of the leftovers.
- Place the leftovers into a large oven proof dish.
- Using skimmed milk and the gravy blend until your gravy is no longer incredibly thick and more like a creamy meaty sauce.
- Pour the gravy over the leftovers until they cover it.
- Layer the top with leftover mashed potatoes and sprinkle the top with a little salt and pepper.
- Cook in the oven at 180c/360f for 25 minutes or until it is hot throughout.