Welcome to my flourless truly crispy calamari rings in the air fryer recipe. Here is an air fryer version of the classic squid rings with no flour and perfect for a delicious low fat treat.
I remember like it was yesterday the first time I ever had calamari rings. I was at a restaurant in France with my parents and I had ordered it as my starter. I loved onion rings and my French was terrible and that’s what I thought I was getting.
I was in for the biggest shock of my life when I bit into them. They were not onion, in fact they were these horrible slimy things that took forever for me to chew and I couldn’t imagine eating anything worse.
Well that was my first impression anyway.
After that I made sure that whenever I ordered from a foreign menu that I double checked and I never forgot the word “calamari” every again.
But if you think that they look different think again. Look at the recipe image above for calamari rings and then compare it to yesterdays post for air fryer onion rings and you’ll struggle to tell the difference!
About a decade and a half later I tried them again, this time in a better quality restaurant and to my amazement I absolutely loved them. The crunchy batter and the less chewy centre had me wanting them over and over again.
Now when I am out in Portuguese restaurants I often have them.
This calamari rings recipe is inspired by all my favourite local restaurants and the fact that you can in fact make a healthier version without the batter and with a flourless coating in the airfryer.
More Side Recipes In The Air Fryer
- Airfryer Onion Rings
- Airfryer Chicken Nuggets
- Airfryer Chicken Wings
- Spicy Sweet Potato Wedges
- Turkey Goujons
- Mini Brazilian Turkey Pies
- Airfryer Veggie Bake Cakes
- Turkey Spring Rolls
- Sloppy Joe Stuffed Scones
- Five Cheese Pull Apart Bread
- Homemade Sausage Rolls
- Airfryer Pizza Hut Bread Sticks
- KFC Chicken Strips
- KFC Popcorn Chicken
- Airfryer Mini Cheese Scones
- Homemade Garlic Bread
- Airfryer Roast Potatoes
- Airfryer Garlic Potatoes
- Airfryer Chicken Wrapped In Bacon
- Airfryer Pigs In Blankets
- Sage & Onion Stuffing Balls
- Airfryer Stuffed Garlic Mushrooms
- Airfryer Croutons
- Airfryer Courgette Fritters
- Preheat your air fryer to 180c.
- Thinly slice your calamari into small calamari rings.
- Place your oats into either a food processor or a blender and blend until like fine breadcrumbs.
- Place your beaten egg in one bowl.
- Place your oats into another bowl and mix in the seasoning.
- On a chopping board coat your calamari rings in salt and pepper and lemon.
- Rub your hands in the oats so that they are not sticky.
- Place your calamari rings into the oats, then into egg and then into the oats, making sure each time they are fully coated.
- Remove any excess oats.
- Place in your air fryer onto a baking mat and cook for 8 minutes on 180c.
Calamari is very tough if not cooked or cut correctly. Please make sure you have not got thick slices and that you don’t over cook them.