Welcome to my frugal family meals: slow cooked simple pork lasagne recipe.
Hello lasagne and I just love you so much.
Lasagne probably has to be one of the first things that I learnt to cook. I may point out that when I first cooked it for Dominic that I set fire to the kitchen. It was one of those moments when I should have cleaned the bottom of the oven from the oil I spilt the day before, but I was 18 and lacked general health and safety knowledge. And if the average 30 year old doesn’t want to clean the oven, what hope does a 18 year old have?
I just love the taste of pasta, with bolognese and loads of cheese sauce. I mean seriously what else could you want in life?
It is also my son Kyle’s all time favourite food and when I said we were going into the kitchen to make lasagne, he was in the kitchen before me and waiting for me. He then had a huge portion when it was cooked and then had the leftovers. So no frugal family meal in the freezer with Kyle about!
Though, the one bit that I lost him with, was the fact that he had to wait for it as it was going to be slow cooked. But he soon forgave me by the time he was eating it. And the great thing is its not on all day, but I do find it makes a difference to the flavour.
So if you have not slow cooked lasagne yet, then this is your chance to get started.
How Frugal Is Slow Cooked Lasagne?
Our lasagne recipe works out at 4,21€ for a family of four or 1,05€ each. Or if you are based in America then this is just $1.21 per mouth that you have to feed!
Frugal Family Meals: Slow Cooked Simple Pork Lasagne
- Start by sautéing your onion and garlic in a large pan with your olive oil on a medium heat until your onions have softened.
- Add your bolognese and the seasoning and cook for about 8 minutes or until your mince is nicely browned.
- While your mince is cooking make your cheese sauce. In a saucepan melt your butter. Mix in your plain flour until it creates a roux. Cook for a minute so that the flour has started to cook and then add your milk. Stir in a bit of milk at a time until you have a creamy sauce. Finish by adding your cheese until you have a lovely creamy cheese sauce.
- When your mince is cooked add the tomato sauce and simmer on a low heat for 5 minutes until the liquid has reduced. Also skim any fat off the top of the meat that has developed.
- Now layer your slow cooker. Add a layer of mince, a layer of lasagne and a layer of cheese sauce. Then repeat the layers three times so that you end up with three lots of mince, three lots of cheese sauce and three lots of lasagne.
- Cook for 2 hours on a low slow cooker setting.