Welcome to my half and half pumpkin pizza dough recipe. A delicious quick and simple pumpkin pizza dough recipe. Using half traditional pizza dough and half pumpkin pizza crust. The perfect in between if you want a squash pizza crust with some real pizza dough.
I love my pizza dough made from vegetables. It is the best. It’s a great way to reduce your carbs and then you feel less and less guilty about what you have just eaten. Then you can load it up with your usual favourite pizza toppings knowing that you can have that bit of cheese, knowing that your pizza dough is lower in calories than usual.
We have had that opinion so much, that so far, we have made the following veggie pizza doughs:
But it got me thinking that whenever I do make a pizza dough from my favourite vegetables it is always rather costly. It’s the one time when people say that eating healthy is expensive that I agree with them.
I mean when you do a cauliflower pizza for example you will use a whole cauliflower. Then you will squeeze out all the excess water out of it after you have cooked it. This is a lot of water to go and then when you are done you will end up with a cauliflower dough ball of cauliflower, egg and cheese.
It will be a small cauliflower dough ball and then when you are done you are left with this small bit, that if you are lucky will cover a 8 inch pizza tray.
And you are like is that it????
You kind of wonder if there is a magician hiding somewhere with the rest of your cauliflower. I mean that can’t be it can it?
But it is.
But you want to reduce your carbs, you want to save money and you still want pizza so what do you do…….
Well instead you make yourself a half and half pumpkin pizza dough.
That way you have reduced your regular pizza dough amount by half, you still have a healthy portion of vegetables in your pizza crust and it will taste truly amazing.
Trust me when I say, this is the perfect in between for you.
A pizza dough that still has olive oil, flour, vegetables, egg and cheese.
It also allows you to have your flour, but you can at least say that you are eating it in moderation and getting healthier. Just perfect for if you are on a diet!
It’s a winner in the Milner house and you can use this pumpkin pizza dough for an entire range of pizza toppings. You can also swap the pumpkin pizza dough for butternut squash, broccoli, cauliflower or whatever vegetable that you have in.
[clickToTweet tweet=”Half & Half #Pumpkin #Pizza #Dough #Recipe @recipe_this” quote=”Half & Half #Pumpkin #Pizza #Dough #Recipe @recipe_this”]
Half & Half Pumpkin Pizza Dough Recipe
- Peel and dice your pumpkin and cook it for 25 minutes in your soup maker or until it is nice and soft.
- Mix out the ingredients of your flat bread and place them into a mixing bowl. Though don’t make them into a dough just yet.
- When the pumpkin is cooked, thoroughly drain it and remove any excess moisture from it so that it is smooth and without liquid.
- Add the pumpkin to your flat bread mixture, add the egg and 40% of the cheese and make into a firm dough. Knead with your hands a few times so that you have a beautiful dough.
- Roll the dough out and push it down onto a pizza tray.
- Mix together the tomato puree and the oregano and using the flat side of a butter knife rub it down into the bottom of the pizza dough.
- Decorate your pizza with toppings. I used an extra 100g of small pumpkin chunks, the rest of the cheese and some thyme.
- Place the pizza tray in the oven or grill and cook for 25 minutes at 180c/400f.
Half & Half Pumpkin Pizza Dough Recipe Podcast
We also have created a short version of the half and half pumpkin pizza dough recipe into a Podcast. We have loaded it up onto our Itunes account and it is great for a quick download and then you can save it to your phone and then have it in your kitchen with you as you cook.