Welcome to our homemade sausage rolls in the Airfryer recipe.
There is always going to be certain foods that we all remember from our childhood. Though usually it is a comfort food that was simple yet delicious and you wished you could eat it everyday for the rest of your life.
Well one of those childhood favourite foods for me has to be sausage rolls. That lovely British sausagemeat wrapped around lots of crispy flaky shortcrust pastry. Talk about heaven. Though this is clearly an unhealthy heaven not a healthy one!
I remember having them from the local bakery when I was at work with my dad. He had a record shop in the 80’s and early 90’s and was only about 3 doors away from the local bakers. He would take £10 out of the till, tell me what he wanted for lunch and tell me to get whatever I wanted. I mean seriously £10 was a lot of money in those days and to send a 10 year old into a shop full of baked goods is asking for trouble.
I would come out with a sandwich for each of us, flapjacks, strawberry tarts and a big warm sausage roll. I was quite surprised looking back at my discipline and the fact that I wasn’t so greedy that I spent the lot!
Yet now it is often blamed for the obesity in the UK because instead of just having the lovely local bakery you have chains that will sell you 5 sausage rolls for a special offer price rather than people going in and just having the one!
I also used to get them at school too. But they were never as nice. I remember that most of the time they were burnt, but as it was one of my favourite foods I didn’t really care.
Now in the summer we always have sausage rolls. This is mainly as some quick picnic food to take down the beach or in winter we have it as a snack around Christmas time.
Either way, they are frugal, take very little time to make and are absolutely delicious.
More Potato Recipes In The Air Fryer
- Airfryer Onion Rings
- Airfryer Calamari Rings
- Airfryer Chicken Nuggets
- Airfryer Chicken Wings
- Spicy Sweet Potato Wedges
- Turkey Goujons
- Mini Brazilian Turkey Pies
- Airfryer Veggie Bake Cakes
- Turkey Spring Rolls
- Sloppy Joe Stuffed Scones
- Five Cheese Pull Apart Bread
- Airfryer Pizza Hut Bread Sticks
- KFC Chicken Strips
- KFC Popcorn Chicken
- Airfryer Mini Cheese Scones
- Homemade Garlic Bread
- Airfryer Roast Potatoes
- Airfryer Garlic Potatoes
- Airfryer Chicken Wrapped In Bacon
- Airfryer Pigs In Blankets
- Sage & Onion Stuffing Balls
- Airfryer Stuffed Garlic Mushrooms
- Airfryer Croutons
- Airfryer Courgette Fritters
[clickToTweet tweet=”Homemade #SausageRolls In The #Airfryer Recipe via recipe_this” quote=”Homemade #SausageRolls In The #Airfryer Recipe via recipe_this”]
- Start by making your pastry. Place the flour, the seasoning and the butter into a mixing bowl and using the rubbing in method, rub the fat into the flour until you have a mixture that resembles bread crumbs. Add the olive oil and a little water (a bit at a time) and using your hands make the mixture into a flaky dough. Knead the pastry as you mix it together so that it becomes lovely and smooth.
- Roll out the pastry onto a worktop and create a square shape of pastry. Using a teaspoon (or your fingers) rub the mustard into the pastry. Place the sausage meat in the centre and brush the edges of the pastry with egg. Roll up the sausage rolls and then divide into portions. Brush the tops and sides of the sausage rolls with more eggs.
- Slash the top of the sausage rolls with a knife so that they have the chance to breathe.
- Cook in the Airfryer at 160c for 20 minutes and then for a further 5 minutes at 200c so that you can have that lovely crunchy pastry.
I find that they are best when you roll them up and chop them into snack sized ones, but Dominic prefers the big ones like the ones we have made.