Hotel Room Sloppy Cheese & Onion Mash In The Instant Pot. Is just as it says a potato version of Sloppy Joes that is bursting with different varieties of cheese. Cooked in our hotel room while travelling it is perfect for a quick Instant Pot dinner on the road.
Because I love to talk and love to write, I never ever seem to get writers block. I can just go on forever and ever with new ideas and new things that have inspired me.
In fact, as I write this I have an ideas folder with more than 300 new recipe ideas for RecipeThis.com and that’s without all the other folders I have.
But after making this I really did wonder what I would call it!
- Instant Pot Cheese & Onion Mash
- Instant Pot Vegetarian Sloppy Joes
- Instant Pot Potato Sloppy Joes
- Instant Pot 6 Cheese Mashed Potato
And the list went on and on. It was one of those crazy comfort food moments that most people would never take pictures of, because who wants to look at pictures of ugly food.
But guess what?
Comfort food is often ugly and OMG this tasted so good, I just wish I still had some now.
Whether you go with my chosen name of Hotel Room Sloppy Cheese & Onion Mash or give it your own preferred name, you must try this.
But first, before you make my cheese and onion mash, let me tell you how I ended up at 9pm at night, cooking this in my Premier Inn hotel room.
My Hotel Room Mash In The Instant Pot
It was the night before we were due to go back to France and carry on with our camping journey.
We were near the docks at Dover and we were all super tired and looking forward to our morning ferry.
We planned a quick trip down to Asda to get some sandwich stuff for dinner and then I saw them.
All over the place was yellow sticker clearance items with huge amounts knocked off. Not the little bits you see discounted but HUGE enormous discounts on all kinds of products.
Meat at 80% off, fruit, vegetables, bread, cookies, it was crazy. There was this one young guy doing all these discounts, while hoards of people followed him around.
Dominic took one look at me and knew that we were sticking around for a while!
I was heartbroken that due to not having a fridge, couldn’t take any meat. I would have loved to follow the lead of the others and fill an entire trolley with amazing meat.
But I did see potatoes for 12p and so, so many of them too.
I took the lot as I knew I could not only have some for supper but cook with them for the next few days as the potatoes wouldn’t go off unlike beef.
I then thought that dinner wouldn’t be any better than my favourite five counties cheese, spring onions and creamy Philadelphia.
So that’s exactly what we did, and this cheesy Instant Pot mash is the result.
Vegetarian Sloppy Joes In The Instant Pot
What I hate about vegetarian and vegan food is the use of meat substitutes instead of meat. It tastes horrible and has never been on my wish list.
However, use your favourite vegetables instead and you have a food wow factor.
This recipe uses potatoes instead of mince and when you look at the end result photos you will see it looks just like the texture of Sloppy Joes and is asking to be put in a big fat bread roll.
If you haven’t got yourself an Instant Pot yet, then you MUST they make travelling and day to day eating at home so easy.
Hotel Room Sloppy Cheese & Onion Mash In The Instant Pot
- Dice the new potatoes into quarters and place them in the Instant Pot as you chop them.
- Clean and dice the spring onion and place it into the Instant Pot too.
- Season well with salt and pepper.
- Add 1.5 cups of water to the Instant Pot. Place the lid on the Instant Pot, set the valve to sealing and cook for 30 minutes on manual pressure.
- When it beeps manually release pressure. Drain the potatoes and spring onions well.
- Place the potatoes back in the Instant Pot. Using a vegetable knife slash them so that they resemble crushed potatoes.
- Add your cheeses and place the Instant Pot on the keep warm setting. Mix well with a fork until all the cheese is mixed in.