Beef Tips And Gravy is one of my favourite cheap family meals, especially when cooked in the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker.
Beef tips that are pressure cooked in its own onion gravy and served over lump free Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes.
Beef Tips And Gravy is a must on your MUST TRY list when you get an Instant Pot Pressure Cooker.
You can put the wow factor into mash with beef gravy by using a small amount of beef tips between you and your family.
You can also use a real cheap cut of beef because the Instant Pot does a fantastic job of tenderising it as it cooks.
If you want to use just a small amount of meat to feed everyone then this is it.
I made our beef tips and gravy recipe during our war week when we had to stick to the rations that were set during 1945 Britain.
This included a small amount of meat that was allowed and often it was hard to get hold of meat at all.
As part of the meat rations you could have meat to a certain monetary value which on today’s money is just over 10€.
So that meant we had to pick and choose what meat we had for the week. Beef tips was perfect for that as I could get one small slice and it would feed the 5 of us when loaded up with mashed potatoes and its own gravy.
If you are on a budget, then this is ideal!
What Are Beef Tips?
Because I am British and have an audience that is British, American, Canadian and Australian, there is often a lot of cultural differences that you learn as you run a food blog.
I feel like over the last 3 years that I have run RecipeThis.com that I have earned a qualification in American cookery language and that it differs quite a lot to my own upbringing.
Beef is a good example of this.
We would call for beef scraps, beef stroganoff, beef frying steak, cheap beef slices, rather than giving it an official name.
Any one of these phrases when in America would be considered to be beef tips.
Beef tips is just the cheap cut of beef normally found at the top of many famous beef cuts. One of the most famous being beef sirloin tips.
Or it can also be considered as the small bite sized pieces that you can buy from the butchers such as beef stroganoff.
Instant Pot Beef Tips And Gravy Over Mashed Potatoes
- Peel and dice the potatoes into bite sized cubes and place them in the Instant Pot. Add 1 cup (250ml) of cold water and place the lid on the Instant Pot. Set the valve to sealing and cook for 10 minutes. Manually release pressure when it beeps, drain and put the potatoes to one side.
- While the potatoes are cooking, slice up the beef tips so that they resemble classic beef stroganoff slices. Peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Add the onion and beef to the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker and place it on the sauté setting. Sauté with a little olive oil for a couple of minutes or until the onions start to soften. Add 250ml of beef stock to the Instant Pot, cancel sauté and place the lid on the Instant Pot. Set the valve to sealing and cook for 6 minutes on manual pressure.
- While the beef and onion are cooking mash the potatoes and place the mash into medium sized bowls ready for serving.
- When the Instant Pot beeps manually release pressure. Use a gravy thickener to make a thicker gravy from the beef juices and stir for a minute or two on sauté. Once thick pour the onion and beef gravy over the mashed potatoes and serve.