Welcome to my Instant Pot Crash Hot Potatoes. A delicious Australian style of garlic potatoes that is a MUST for serving to your family.
I have actually been eating these for years but nobody ever told me they were Australian and I found out by chance that they were a couple of weeks ago and it felt just right that I would share them on Recipe This.
I have always called them my crushed garlic potatoes. I cook them in a similar way to traditional French saluted potatoes.
They come with a lot of garlic and olive oil and bring a boring white potato to life.
Whenever I cooked them I would always get asked when I would be doing them again as the family loved them so much.
Normally I could serve up my garlic crushed potatoes with meat and salad. Usually as a Saturday night supper with pulled pork and a cobb salad.
We would always argue over who was getting the last potato and I would normally steal it when nobody was looking.
I know BAD WIFE.
To make Aussie style Hot Crash Potatoes instead of just giving it a quick sauté the potatoes are cooked again with fresh thyme and a bit of fat and then served like they are baked potatoes that have been crushed.
I suppose you could say they are like a lazy loaded potato. No need to remove the contents of the potato and mix it with anything.
Instead you are just pushing the baked potatoes down, adding a topping and cooking some more.
Very simple and OMG these luxury baked potatoes are just amazing cooked in the Instant Pot.
Once you have these Instant Pot Crash Hot Potatoes you will want them time and time again.
You can also change the flavours for what fresh herbs that you have available. For example, I used fresh thyme but rosemary would be just as nice.
You could also swap extra virgin olive oil for butter. Or be naughty like me and have BOTH!
When you cook your Instant Pot Crash Hot Potatoes it is like cooking baked potatoes, but with less time and then giving them an extra cook.
If you over cook the baked potatoes in the Instant Pot though it will turn them to mash. So, beware of your cooking times.
More Potato Recipes In The Instant Pot
- Instant Pot New Potatoes
- Instant Pot Perfect Mashed Potato
- Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Instant Pot Baked Sweet Potato
- Instant Pot Spanish Potato Hash
- Instant Pot No Peel Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Instant Pot Brazilian Potatoes
- Instant Pot Turkey Colcannon
Instant Pot Crash Hot Potatoes Recipe
- Remove your 75% cooked baked potatoes from the Instant Pot.
- Using the back of a grater push down the potatoes so that they reduce by half in height.
- Season the skin with salt and pepper and rub olive oil into the skin.
- Place the potatoes into a casserole dish that is of the right size to fit in the Instant Pot. Lower the potatoes in the dish onto the steamer shelf disregarding the steam bowl that you used to cook the baked potatoes.
- Mix together butter, the extra olive oil, the fresh thyme and the garlic and Brush the tops of the baked potatoes with them.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot, set to sealing and cook on manual for 5 minutes.
- Quickly release pressure (QPR) add some grated cheese and serve.