Welcome to my Instant Pot Mediterranean Turkey & Rice. A delicious fast lunch or dinner in the Instant brought to life with flavours of the Mediterranean. It is perfect for an easy family meal, using up leftover turkey legs or just when you fancy something different. Even better, you can also use this recipe for chicken legs too!
I love living on the Mediterranean. We have beautiful beaches within a 20 minute drive and the food is truly amazing. If I was to say what the best thing about living in Portugal, I would have to go with the food.
The fresh sardines, succulent whole chickens, the fluffy rice, the garlic, the local honey, the fresh tomatoes, the huge range of bread and the list goes on and on.
I have been asked in the past if I miss British food, well with what the local cuisine has to offer, I never truly have the chance to think about it or miss it.
This Instant Pot Mediterranean Turkey & Rice is a prime example. Locally produced turkey leg cooked to perfection with a lot of local flavours along with some delightful fluffy rice. In many ways it reminds me of local foods that I have in the restaurants though the main difference there is that it is usually chicken or pork instead of turkey but the seasonings are very much the same.
So if you fancy the flavours of the Mediterranean in a quick and speedy hearty meal in your Instant Pot then follow this recipe!
More Turkey Recipes In The Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Slow Cooked Turkey Breast
- Instant Pot Spanish Orange Turkey
- Instant Pot Portuguese Turkey Rice
- Instant Pot Thai Turkey Fried Rice
- Instant Pot Teriyaki Turkey Rice
- In a mixing bowl mix together your thyme, oregano, honey, garlic and salt and pepper. Using your fingertips massage in the olive oil into the turkey skin. Then using your hands again massage in the marinade.
- Place the Instant Pot on the sauté setting and place the turkey (skin side down) into the Instant Pot and cook for about 3 minutes or until the skin is starting to show colour, as this will help it crisp up later.
- Turn the turkey over so that the skin is facing up, pour over it the turkey stock and change the setting to poultry, set to sealing and cook the turkey for 40 minutes.
- When the 40 minutes is up, remove the turkey immediately and allow to rest on a cleaning chopping board.
- Rinse the rice under a cold tap to remove any starch and place in the Instant Pot.
- Place the rice in the bottom of the Instant Pot with the same amount of water to rice. Cook for 3 minutes on the rice setting and then allow to cool down and don’t release pressure until 10 minutes has passed.
- Remove the rice from the Instant Pot and place the turkey (which will be at edible temperature now) on top of the rice.
We used a small turkey leg from a full turkey that we had chopped up. You could also use a large chicken leg if you wish or other similar bone in poultry.
This recipe is also made very easy to follow by using equal amounts of marinade.
We don’t eat large portions so what we did was split the turkey leg and the rice between the two of us for lunch, plus put a smaller portion to one side for our daughter.
At first we thought 40 minutes for the turkey leg seemed like a long time. But when you put into account its size and the fact we checked it a few times during recipe testing we found that this was the perfect timing.
When doing rice you can follow the equal amounts of water to rice rule. Also you don’t have to adjust the time for cooking more rice.