Air Fryer Oven Malteser Traybake. A delicious Malteser loaded rocky road traybake, loaded with marshmallows and plenty of your favourite Maltesers. Little washing up thanks to a single tray and your trusted air fryer.
Did I ever mention that I am a chocolate junkie? I rarely drink, I don’t smoke, I like saving money and being frugal, but I have zero control when it comes to chocolate and it’s my biggest vice.
Even worse, I can’t believe how little sweet treats I have shared over the last 2 years, it is just not me.
So I thought it was about time I shared with you my favourite easy chocolate treat using the air fryer oven, aka the best ever Malteser traybake.
As I sit here typing up my Malteser traybake recipe for you, I have some chunks of dark chocolate to the right of me and a cute little 4 year old helping me eat them.
She joins me in the love for all things sweet and she was also by my side as I made a delicious Malteser traybake with the air fryer oven.
Though she was placing more Maltesers in her mouth than in the traybake, but isn’t that expected with all kids when you bake with them?
It was on delivery of my brand new tray, that I decided that the first thing I was going to cook in it was a delicious Malteser traybake.
It was the perfect size and before I showed the kids how to make delicious pasta dishes and savoury traybakes we were going to start with our favourite one of all and that is the classic Malteser rocky road traybake.
Air Fryer Malteser Traybake
Talking about the air fryer, or the air fryer oven that I am using today, it is truly amazing for making a Malteser traybake.
That is because you can air fry the chocolate so that it is melted but not burnt and you can do everything in one tray without extra washing up and best of all you get a lot more traybake to eat.
I know most people will melt their chocolate in the microwave or on top of a pan on the stove, but the air fryer is so much easier and I don’t think I could imagine melting chocolate anywhere else now.
Or to sum it up the air fryer oven makes it so much easier.
Rocky Road Cake With Marshmallows & Maltesers
If you have ever had a rocky road before you will know that a Malteser traybake is very similar.
In fact, I wonder if it is more appropriate is to call it a Malteser rocky road traybake? After all it is a rocky road with Maltesers added in.
If you have never made a rocky road traybake before then the ingredients will always include:
- Broken Biscuits – Usually it is digestive biscuits, but you can use your own preferred brand.
- Melted Chocolate – Any of your favourite chocolate will do. I used my favourite Portuguese milk chocolate. But you could also use Galaxy, Lindt or Cadburys if that is your thing.
- Mini Marshmallows – I used regular marshmallows and then cut them down to the correct size with scissors.
- Liquid – An ingredient is added to the melted chocolate to make a chocolate sauce. This might be milk, butter, yoghurt and in some cases coconut milk.
The rest of the ingredients in a rocky road is down to the theme of your rocky road. Like with our rocky road traybake we have used Maltesers and for extra sweetness we have added honey.
We have also used a mix of yoghurt and butter for the creamy chocolate sauce.
The Fast Malteser Traybake
When making a classic Malteser traybake, the hardest part is getting excited and wanting to eat it straight away yet knowing that it will take 2 hours+ to set in the fridge.
Well that is when the freezer comes in. Instead of placing your Malteser traybake into the fridge for a few hours, place it into the freezer for 30 minutes instead.
It will be solid and totally set and you can simply chop it into rocky road squares.
How To Make A Malteser Rocky Road Cake?
It is so simple to make a Malteser rocky road traybake cake, though I decided that I must recipe test it for you 10 times, just so that I could keep eating it, after all I had to get it 200% perfect for you!
Making a Malteser Rocky Road Traybake is EASY and is split into the following sections:
- Stage #1 Prep Everything – The first time I made my Malteser traybake I made the mistake of melting the chocolate, prepping and adding it all in. This is a mistake because the chocolate has chance to set and its much harder to mix all the Malteser rocky road ingredients together.
- Stage #2 Melt The Chocolate – It only takes 2 minutes to melt the chocolate, butter and honey inside the tray in your air fryer. Though of course you reserve some of it for later so that you can have a chocolate topping on your rocky road.
- Stage #3 Mix It – You then mix the ingredients into the melted chocolate directly in your tray.
- Stage #4 Add The Chocolate Topping – I always add some extra liquid to this to make it nice and creamy before adding it to the top of your Malteser rocky road. Once everything is mixed in it is ready for the freezer.
- Stage #5 Freeze It – You can now place your Malteser traybake into the freezer and come back 30 minutes later to perfect Malteser rocky road.
After this, all you need to do is get a butter knife and slice up your Malteser traybake into perfect rocky road squares.
Tips For A Perfect Malteser Traybake
- Add the biscuits to the traybake last. This is because the biscuits dry out the chocolate very fast, so if you leave it until last it is easier to mix.
- Half the Maltesers. Using a vegetable knife chop some of your Maltesers in half as this will help when they are mixed and stop you have lots of big pieces in your Malteser traybake.
- Chop Marshmallows with scissors. If you’re using marshmallows that are big and want to make them into mini marshmallows, then use scissors. It is so much easier than using a knife.
- Under melt your chocolate. When I melt my chocolate, I will melt it to being on the verge of melted. Then I will mix it with a fork and gently stir it off the heat and the rest of the chocolate will melt naturally. This makes the chocolate so much nicer and stops the burnt chocolate sauce effect.
The great thing about making a Malteser traybake is that it’s a quick dump and go recipe. You prep your ingredients, melt your chocolate, mix and freeze it.
Its much quicker and easier than making a cake and a great alternative for birthday cakes and other celebrations.
Air Fryer Oven Malteser Traybake
- Prep your rocky road ingredients. Using scissors cut up the marshmallows into tiny marshmallows otherwise they will be too big to digest in your rocky road. Using a vegetable knife slice ½ of your Maltesers in half. Place your digestive biscuits into a freezer bag and using a rolling pin bash them into a mix of crumbs and small pieces of biscuit.
- Melt your chocolate. Place your squares of milk chocolate, butter and honey into your tray and place them on the medium shelf of your air fryer oven. Cook for 2 minutes at 160c/320f.
- When the air fryer oven is done, using a dessert spoon carry on stirring until your butter and chocolate is perfectly melted and your honey is well mixed in. Reserve ¼ of your melted chocolate to one side for later.
- Load up your rocky road. Add the marshmallows and Maltesers to your traybake and mix well with your dessert spoon. Add in the digestive biscuits and stir some more. Flatten it down so that it is level using the back of your spoon.
- Get the melted chocolate you reserved earlier and add the Greek yoghurt and stir. Cover the top of your Malteser traybake with the extra chocolate sauce.
- Place the traybake into the freezer to chill for 30 minutes. Once chilled using a vegetable knife chop into 16 squares.
Can’t make it now? Then pin it for later!
Join The RecipeThis.com Community:
Plus, don’t forget to subscribe below to join our email newsletter with updates of our latest recipes, latest freebies, our cooking stories, plus much more: