Welcome to our Mediterranean Meatloaf recipe in the slow cooker.
I made this recipe on a Sunday at the end of July when it was super hot and I just wanted to make something in the slow cooker so that our kitchen didn’t feel like a sauna. And this is what I made…
I love meatloaf but sometimes it can get a bit boring with that feeling that Grandma made it and is crying out for lots of herbs and spices or other flavourings. Don’t get me wrong I used to worship my Grandma’s old fashioned cooking but I also love a mix of dishes too.
I must have made meatloaf 100’s of times since I first sampled it on holiday in America 4 years ago. Actually I had it three different times when I was there all cooked by different people so I was kind of getting into the flavours that went into it to make such a delicious dish.
But since I live in Portugal it is only right that I put a Mediterranean influence on such an amazing dish.
In this version we have red wine, homemade tomato sauce, lots of cheese and bacon too. You could even serve this as a frugal Sunday dinner if you were having family coming to visit you.
[clickToTweet tweet=”#Mediterranean #Meatloaf In The Slow Cooker Recipe via recipe_this” quote=”#Mediterranean #Meatloaf In The Slow Cooker Recipe via recipe_this”]
Mediterranean Meatloaf In The Slow Cooker
- In a large mixing bowl add all your seasoning, your minced beef and onion. Mix it well and combine it with your hands. Turn it out onto a clean worktop and pat it down so that it looks like pastry that has been rolled out.
- Chop up some cheese and layer it down the middle section of your meatloaf, then wrap it up like it is a sausage roll.
- Place it in the slow cooker on low on top of a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Mix your red wine and homemade tomato sauce together and pour it around the meatloaf but not actually on it.
- Place the bacon over the top of the meatloaf so that you can’t see the top of your meatloaf.
- Cook for 4 hours on low, or until it is cooked in the centre.
- Serve with roast potatoes and vegetables.