Welcome to our Mediterranean Meatloaf recipe in the slow cooker.
I made this recipe on a Sunday at the end of July when it was super hot and I just wanted to make something in the slow cooker so that our kitchen didn’t feel like a sauna. And this is what I made…
I love meatloaf but sometimes it can get a bit boring with that feeling that Grandma made it and is crying out for lots of herbs and spices or other flavourings. Don’t get me wrong I used to worship my Grandma’s old fashioned cooking but I also love a mix of dishes too.
I must have made meatloaf 100’s of times since I first sampled it on holiday in America 4 years ago. Actually I had it three different times when I was there all cooked by different people so I was kind of getting into the flavours that went into it to make such a delicious dish.
But since I live in Portugal it is only right that I put a Mediterranean influence on such an amazing dish.
In this version we have red wine, homemade tomato sauce, lots of cheese and bacon too. You could even serve this as a frugal Sunday dinner if you were having family coming to visit you.#Mediterranean #Meatloaf In The Slow Cooker Recipe via recipe_thisClick To Tweet
- In a large mixing bowl add all your seasoning, your minced beef and onion. Mix it well and combine it with your hands. Turn it out onto a clean worktop and pat it down so that it looks like pastry that has been rolled out.
- Chop up some cheese and layer it down the middle section of your meatloaf, then wrap it up like it is a sausage roll.
- Place it in the slow cooker on low on top of a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Mix your red wine and homemade tomato sauce together and pour it around the meatloaf but not actually on it.
- Place the bacon over the top of the meatloaf so that you can’t see the top of your meatloaf.
- Cook for 4 hours on low, or until it is cooked in the centre.
- Serve with roast potatoes and vegetables.
We are not big eaters thanks to being hypnotised with a hypnotic gastric band a few years ago, so for many you would probably be more suited to doubling the size of your mince portion. If you are increasing the size then double up all the seasonings too.
You can also make this more frugal by swapping the minced beef for minced pork.
We have found the best place to source ground/minced beef to make Mediterranean Meatloaf In The Slow Cooker is from ButcherBox. You even receive free bacon and $10 off your first order when you sign up with this link.