Pressure Cooker Lemon Curd. Creamy homemade lemon curd is easier than you think to make with just 5 easy to source ingredients. Once you have made lemon curd once in your Instant Pot Pressure Cooker, you will want to make it time and time again.
Pressure Cooker Lemon Curd
Lemon Curd to me will always be my frugal food. After first leaving home at 16 and having less than $3 a week to spend on food, it was a lot of lemon curd sandwiches on white bread. Lemon Curd jars was super cheap and so addictive.
I didn’t try it again for several years and then fell hopelessly in love with it and remembered what I was missing. But it wasn’t the cheap supermarket lemon curd it was the quality organic brand.
But this was getting expensive, so my lemon curd addiction was put on the back burner. That was about 2 years ago since I last had some.
Fast forward to 2019 and with way too many lemons than I know what to do with, I am going to make Pressure Cooker Lemon Curd and see what all the fuss is about.
Pressure Cooker Lemon Curd Ingredients
My first thought, apart from having way too many lemons on my lemon tree is what do I need to make pressure cooker lemon curd?
Well the ingredients are not that difficult to get. In fact, there is only 5 main ingredients that go into the pressure cooker to make pressure cooker lemon curd.
Though when I look at the lemon curd ingredients, my first thought is making a cake minus the flour, making it a winner if you suffer from a gluten allergy or are looking for something low carb for dessert.
How To Make Lemon Curd In The Pressure Cooker?
To make lemon curd in the pressure cooker is a case of mixing the butter and sugar like you would if you were to bake a cake. Adding in other ingredients, mixing it some more and placing the ingredients into mason jars.
There is no big secret to it, just amazing homemade lemon curd that tastes amazing.
Though to let it set, you must leave it in the fridge for a bit after it cools down and the real TEST is to leave it in the fridge and not keep stealing it! Yes I am talking about ME. I just can’t stop when it comes to my FAVOURITE sweet treats.
Pressure Cooker Lemon Curd (for one)
In this pressure cooker lemon curd recipe, we have made enough to fill one medium sized (500ml) mason jar.
This makes it easier for you to increase the portion size to however many jars of homemade lemon curd that you want to make.
If you want to fill four jars, then increase your 5 main recipe ingredients by 4. Then double it if you just want to fill two jars and so on.
#1 Pressure Cooker Lemon Curd Hack
The biggest and BEST hack for perfect lemon curd in the pressure cooker is to NOT fasten the lids on your lemon curd jars tight.
Do it loose like you would if you wanted a toddler to be able to open it.
If you don’t do this, there is a risk that when you release pressure that the lemon curd will explode as it gives the glass jars chance to breathe.
I find that when you release pressure the lids will then come off naturally and it saves you burning yourself removing the lid, makes it easier to get the jars out of the Instant Pot and stops an explosion.
Lemon Curd Mason Jars
The 6th and a vital ingredient is the mason jars. You need some good quality mason jars that you can use in the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker, that will last, and you can recycle for future rounds of lemon curd or for when you want jam or yoghurt.
This is because when you make lemon curd you might want to make enough to fill four jars or one might get cracked at some point and then you might move it to another mason jar.
I also stick with a medium size and four mason jars easily fit in the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker.
Pressure Cooker Lemon Curd
- Place the butter and the sugar into a mixing bowl and using a hand mixer, mix until the sugar and butter are well mixed, and it is nice and soft. It won’t be creamy like cake batter though.
- Beat the egg yolks with the whole eggs in a separate bowl and add them to the butter and sugar bowl. Mix well for a couple of minutes and you have a gritty but combined mixture.
- Add in the vanilla essence and the lemon rind and mix again.
- Add in the lemon juice and mix lightly with a fork.
- Pour into mason jars and place the lids on but don’t screw them tight.
- Place 2 cups of water into the bottom of the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker and place the steamer shelf/trivet on top. Add the mason jars.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot, set the valve to sealing and cook for 12 minutes on manual pressure.
- After the 12 minutes is up, use natural pressure release for a further 5 minutes.
- Use a fork to stir the lemon curd while the mason jars are still in the Instant Pot. Leave for an hour for them to cool down and then fridge them for 12 hours.
- 10. After 12 hours you will have thick delicious homemade lemon curd.
Can’t make it now? Then pin it for later!
Join The RecipeThis.com Community:
Plus, don’t forget to subscribe below to join our email newsletter with updates of our latest recipes, latest freebies, our cooking stories, plus much more: