Welcome to my Syn Free Slimming World Pizza Fakeaway. Enjoy a delicious homemade pizza night in with a butternut squash pizza crust, plenty of cheese, lots of fresh tomatoes and plenty of oregano. Perfect for if you love pizza but want to keep it Syn Free.
Come on confession time please……how often have you supposed to be losing weight and watching what you eat and then you ring up for a Friday night pizza to be delivered to your door???
I probably should say that I have done this a lot and probably the reason why I went from arriving at university in the autumn of 2004 weighing in at 10 stone to moving abroad in the summer of 2008 weighing in at just over 16 stone. I mean where did those 6 stone come from?
Yes you guessed it – the takeaway leaflets through the door got me hooked!
We used to have a 10 inch cheese and tomato pizza, a couple of burgers, fries and onion rings. Dominic loved his burgers and I loved my pizzas. So this meant we would have both. He would enjoy his burgers, some fries and a slice of my pizza. I would enjoy maybe half the pizza along with the onion rings and fries.
But my big mistake would be warming up the leftover pizza for breakfast.
No wonder I put on so much weight. Maybe if we had shared a pizza and we didn’t have leftovers for breakfast that maybe I would have just put on 2 stone instead of 6 stone, but who knows?
Needless to say, I should have been making my own pizzas at home instead. Not only is it more fun to make a pizza yourself, but you can then make a much healthier version and have a Syn Free Slimming World Pizza Fakeaway.
Butternut Squash Pizza Crust
I love butternut squash and it is true addiction of mine. I often get lazy with it and just have it baked and then served with Bolognese, after all it is so easy and simple to do. But there is so much more you can do with butternut squash and making a butternut squash pizza crust is like a dream come true.
You see whenever I made a traditional vegetable pizza crust I often do so with cauliflower. But there is a REALLY big problem there you see cauliflower holds a LOT of water and can drive you a bit crackers with how much cauliflower you end up left with once you have squeezed out all the excess water.
But butternut squash on the other hand carries a lot less water than cauliflower does, making it a bit more economical and OMG a butternut squash pizza crust is truly amazing.
It’s one of those things, that until you try it, you don’t know what you’re missing out on.
To make a good quality butternut squash pizza crust you just need a few simple ingredients:
- Butternut Squash
That’s it. It’s a case of draining the water from the butternut squash, combining the easy ingredients and then “hey presto” you have a delicious butternut squash pizza crust. Then just like if you were making a regular pizza you would just load it up with all your favourite ingredients.
I am a cheese and tomato girl when it comes to pizzas. I normally don’t put anything else on them beyond that as I love the simplicity of how well cheese and tomato go together and they taste so good don’t they?
Also in this butternut squash recipe I am using the grill pan in the Airfryer because it gives it a great shape, lets it breathe just like cooking in the oven does, plus you have a brilliant bottom crusty texture.
When you bite into this pizza your guests will be surprised that it is in fact a butternut squash pizza crust and would just assume that it was the real thing. But it tastes so good, like I said is Syn Free and is so quick to make as well thanks to the likes of my Soup Maker and my Airfryer. So lets bring it on and have the best ever Slimming World Pizza Fakeaway!
[clickToTweet tweet=”#SynFree #SlimmingWorld #Pizza #Fakeawayway Recipe @recipe_this” quote=”#SynFree #SlimmingWorld #Pizza #Fakeawayway Recipe @recipe_this”]
- Peel and dice your butternut squash and place it into the soup maker. Cook for 25 minutes on the chunky soup function until it is cooked.
- In a large mixing bowl add your egg, your edam cheese, mustard, some salt and pepper and the oats.
- Drain the excess liquid from the butternut squash and add the drained butternut squash to your mixing bowl.
- Make your pizza dough into the shape of the Airfryer grill pan and push it down into the grill pan.
- Decorate your pizza crust bases with the toppings of your choice. We covered ours with big slices of cheddar, sliced tomatoes, dried oregano and fresh basil.
- Place in the Airfryer and cook for 15 minutes on 180c/360f.
- Serve warm.
1. I used my soup maker for steaming the butternut squash. You could also use a steamer or an Instant Pot. I recommend AGAINST boiling as when you boil vegetables not only does it lose its flavour but its nutritional value too.
2. I normally blend my gluten free oats in my recipes but in this version it adds some chunky texture to the recipe and really helps combine the ingredient for a really good pizza crust.
3. I remove the excess liquid from butternut squash using a scruffy white pillow case. Then squeezing out the liquid over the sink, until there is nothing left to squeeze.
4. I use Edam as the cheese in the butternut squash pizza crust. This is because it is a softer cheese and is better for making a crust with that has a less of a melting effect. This means that you won’t end up with an exploding pizza crust when cooked.
5. My pizza dough made 2 lots for the grill pan so that we could have 2 good sized pizzas.
Syn Free Slimming World Pizza Fakeaway
So you’re probably wondering how can a pizza that looks this good, seriously be free of Slimming World Syns? Well it is all about the healthy extras of course.
These delicious pizzas made with butternut squash pizza crust, are enough to feed four people. That is 2 decent sized pizzas with each person sharing half a pizza.
The healthy extras used are:
- Gluten Free Oats = 2HEB
- Edam Cheese = 2 HEA
- Light Cheddar = 2HEA
This works out at 1HEA and ¼ HEB per person.
Or if you are on a calorie controlled diet then it is great to be able to say that they are just 266 calories per serving. I mean come on, if you went to a pizza restaurant you would be talking more like 2600 calories per person, so this is a HUGE difference.
Plus can you believe that you can enjoy all this cheese, for such little calories???
Syn Free Slimming World Pizza Fakeaway Recipe Podcast
We also have created a short version of this fakeaway into a Podcast. We have loaded it up onto our Itunes account and it is great for a quick download and then you can save it to your phone and then have it in your kitchen with you as you cook.