The Ultimate Air Fryer Chicken Burgers. Easy to prepare and rolled in cheese and breadcrumbs for that perfect fast food style crust, seasoned to perfection, with a lot less calories than the takeaway. This is the fakeaway night in of your dreams.
The first time I ever tried a chicken burger was at McDonalds. It was their delicious McChicken Sandwich and made me fall head over heels in love with chicken burgers.
Being an 80’s baby you rarely got taken to McDonalds as it was always considered overpriced and unhealthy.
But like many teens, once you get old enough to earn your own money, you can spend it on whatever you like.
My son takes this literally and you will always find his school bag full of crisps and chocolate biscuits along with Ice Tea.
From the age of 12 onwards I would have a summer waitressing job. I would walk into town and before work I would often have a McDonalds.
I would go with the McChicken Sandwich and have it with fries and a delicious thick McDonalds milkshake. It was heaven and I couldn’t imagine my teenage summers without it.
Now as an adult I like it, but its just not as good as I remember it in my teens.
I also had other chicken burger addictions. I would love the chicken burger Dominic would order me from the takeaway or the ones I used to get when eating out at KFC.
If given the choice I would choose a chicken burger with a yummy filling over a hamburger every time.
That is why I thought it was about time that I put together a classic chicken burger for the air fryer that you can make whenever you have some spare chicken mince that you want to use up.
Air Fryer Chicken Burgers
I have got a naughty confession to admit to. I had to cheat in making these delicious air fryer chicken burgers. That is because living here in Portugal, there are a lot of ingredients that are hard to source over here.
That is why I am looking forward to travelling to the UK this month so that I can make some favourite recipes with favourite ingredients.
Some things that I wish I could get here and can’t include:
- Lamb Mince – Have to pay a huge price tag to get lamb loin minced.
- Poultry Mince – The same applies when trying to get chicken mince or turkey mince.
- Ham – Can’t get it raw.
- Gammon – Cheaper to buy beef fillet.
- Spaghetti Squash – I wish I could try this!
I could go on and on, but I am sure you get the idea. So, you’re probably wondering how on earth I could possibly be making chicken burgers from chicken mince if this is the case?
Well there are two options:
- Mince some chicken breasts – Simple and easy and taste amazing but rather expensive.
- Buy some readymade chicken burgers – I can get chicken burgers shaped up that have just been seasoned with salt and pepper. They are reasonably priced and made into burger shapes already.
Well I went with the second option. Then grabbed the burgers from the packaging and made them into a ball. It then looked like classic chicken mince and was perfect for using for homemade burgers. Plus, the meat was fresh and not frozen.
Of course, what I am trying to say, is that if you don’t have the ingredient available use the next best thing that is reasonably priced.
What was important to us was that we still had plain chicken mince and we could then add all our favourite seasonings, load it up with breadcrumbs and give it that AMAZING cheesy breadcrumb crust.
Which in our opinion is what makes the best ever chicken burger in the air fryer complete.
Air Fryer Chicken Burgers
- Place the minced chicken into a mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper and oregano and add ¾ of the breadcrumbs.
- Mix well so that the seasoning is well coated.
- Make into burger shapes.
- Roll each burger in the leftover breadcrumbs and then in the cheese, making sure that the top, bottom and sides are well coated.
- Place in the air fryer and cook for 18 minutes at 180c/360f.
- Serve with salad, mayonnaise and in bread buns.