Welcome to my latest whole30 recipe. In this recipe I will be showing you my whole30 version of baked chicken meatballs made in my Lodge Dutch oven. This is one of those delicious hearty meals that you often forget as healthy at the same time.
These hearty baked chicken meatballs are 100% Whole 30 and Paleo and perfect for you if you like to eat low carb or follow a gluten free diet.
I personally love Paleo food that is full of flavour and when you often forget just how good it is for you.
On another note I am a HUGE meatball fan. I just love them and I am sure if you have seen my late aunts party meatballs or my favourite honey and mustard meatballs then you’ll know that I am mad for them!
In this version I am personally using my Lodge Dutch Oven because I love the idea of partly cooking them in the pan to seal them, then taking them out to make the sauce and then adding them again right at the end.
It is like a flash back in time from when I was really small watching my aunt making them. She lived in The States and it was my first memory of her. I remember thinking how big the portion sizes were and getting excited about going back for seconds.
This time around it is my daughter getting excited about them as she watches me make them for her. At 2 years old there is nothing better in her life food wise than little chunks of meat. She will be sharing them off my plate and I doubt there will be any left for me!
You can find out about the Whole30 by clicking here.#Whole30 #Baked #Chicken #Meatballs #Recipe via recipe_thisClick To Tweet
- Whole30 Book
- 300 g Chicken Mince
- 1 Large Onion peeled and diced
- 1 Small Onion peeled and diced
- 6 Large Fresh Tomatoes chopped into small chunks
- 1 Large Courgette thinly sliced
- 1 Can Tinned Tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Puree
- 1 Tsp Mustard
- 1 Tsp Garlic Puree
- 3 Tbsp Thyme
- 1 Tbsp Parsley
- 2 Tbsp Rosemary
- 1 Tbsp Oregano
- 1 Tbsp Basil
- 1 Tbsp Tarragon
- Salt & Pepper
- In your Dutch Oven add your onion, garlic and olive oil and cook on a medium heat for a few minutes until your onions have gone soft.
- Add your fresh tomatoes and courgettes, along with your seasonings (everything but the oregano and basil) and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add your tinned tomatoes, bring to the boil and then simmer for 5 minutes.
- While it is cooking make your meatballs. Using chicken (or turkey) mince place it in a mixing bowl with a small diced onion, tomato puree, teaspoon of garlic, mustard, basil and oregano. Mix well and make them into medium sized meatballs.
- Place the meatballs into the Dutch Oven and cook in the oven for 40 minutes at 200c.
You can also use other mince but I love the flavour of chicken mince and it is much healthier than using pork mince.
When I buy tinned tomatoes I buy the plum variety in the 500g tins and it’s the perfect size for a casserole or stew.
We have found the best place to source ground/minced chicken to make Whole30 Baked Chicken Meatballs is from ButcherBox. You even receive free bacon and $10 off your first order when you sign up with this link.